Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gmitch64 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Chronotherm IV installation issues.
    I'm trying to update the thermostat in the house this weekend, and I am having some issues, and I wonder if someone could help set me straight with what I'm doing wrong... Just to be upfront - I don't know much about HVAC, we didn't really have them where I came from. I did replace the thermostat in my old house a couple of years ago with a Chronothem IV, and I wanted to do the same in this new place.

So, the equipment...

The new thermostat is a Honeywell Chronotherm T8601D2019. The old thermostat is a Honeywell T87F2873. The furnace is a Lennox G8

The wiring...

The T87 was wired up with 4 wires, Y, W, R and G... The blue wire was not connected to anything. I powered off the heating and air at the main fusebox, removed the wires from the T87 base unit, and fitted them to the corresponding terminals on the T8601.

When I powered everything back on, there was no display on the T8601. I checked for 24V across the R & W terminals, and that was fine. I went down to the furnace to check there, and everything was fine there too. Double checked that the blue wire was not connected to anything at the furnace end either.

The T8601 has terminals for C, B and O - none of which are connected at the moment, as I don't have the wires for it (there's also a couple of terminals for the outdoor temp sensor, which I'm ignoring).

I suspect that the T8601 isn't getting power.. In what I've managed to find, I think I need to jumper R to Rc on the base... But there is no Rc to jumper to...

I'm kind of guessing that I need to do something with the B terminal, as I don't think the circuit is being made to power the T8601. Connecting it to the B wire isn't going to help, as it's not connected to anything at the furnace end, and I know that I don't know enough about messing at that end without asking for help.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Graham
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 15, 2006, 02:14 PM
    On the old stat:

R = 24 volt power into the stat
    W = power out to heating relay or control
    G = power out to fan relay
    Y = power out to outdoor cooling compressor

I cannot see how you got 24 volts across the R & W, as the red is the power in , and the W is the power out.

Honeywell website is useless, so I cannot see a wiring diagram for the new one.

So hopefully I helped with explaining how the old one worked.

May 16, 2006, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    I cannot see how you got 24 volts across the R & W, as the red is the power in , and the W is the power out.
    I am kind of confused now too... But I did double check... I'll have another look tomorrow...

On the new stat, there are 3 versions, one which is powered from batteries. One is powered via a common line, and one via some magical method which doesn't need a common... It looks like I've got the wrong version, and need the power stealing version... sigh... :)

Graham
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 16, 2006, 04:06 PM
    I think you need the battery version, since at the stat you only have a power feed, the red, and no return, to create a 24 volt source at the stat.

Or you can use the spare blue wire as a return. This needs to be connected to the control transformer, on the opposite terminal at the transformer, not the same as the red. If you can get this done, use a mter at the stat, and you should measure 24 volts across the red and blue.

May 16, 2006, 06:24 PM
    I think you need the battery version, since at the stat you only have a power feed, the red, and no return, to create a 24 volt source at the stat..
    I was hoping not to get that one... I am terrible at remembering to change batteries and the like.

Or you can use the spare blue wire as a return. This needs to be connected to the the control transformer, on the opposite terminal at the transformer, not the same as the red.
    I'll need to head downstairs and check later, but I seem to remember that all 4 wires were connected to what looked like the transformer... I know they couldn't be, it doesn't make sense. I'll head down when there is a little daylight and double check.

Graham

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oracle 9i Installation issues on W2k Server [ 6 Answers ]

hi, I've installed a dual booting OS running Win XP and Win2000 Server on two partitions namely: C: XP (Fat32 partition), E: W2kServer(NTFS partition) on 20GB each. They are running absolutely fine. Now when I tried to install Oracle 9i Server installation on W2K Server, in the initial stage...

Tub Issues [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My name is Barb, I went to take a shower this morning and had no water pressure at my tub area. The sink is fine, to toilet flushes just fine, but no water at tub. I took off the spout, I pryed off the turn handle but nothing that I see is causing my water not to POUR out. I looked at the hot...

Wiring a Honeywell Chronotherm IV [ 3 Answers ]

What size wiring do you use for a thermostat? I need to move one from an exterior wall to an interior one. Also, any tips on fishing wires through insulation? Bringing it up the wall and over suspended ceiling and down another wall.

Common Wire on Honeywell T8624D Chronotherm [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing two White-Rodgers thermostats, one heating and one cooling with a Honeywell T8624D heating/cooling thermostat. I have three wires coming from the cooling thermostat (W, R & G) and 2 wires for heating coming from the transformer located in the wall at the thermostat which are both...

View more questions Search