Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drme19811 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2006, 09:26 PM
    Theoretical experiment on relativity
    Consider a train , its proper length = 375000 km , traveling at a speed of 180000 km/sec (0.6 of speed of light) relative to person (name him B)

Consider a beam of light that travels in the same direction of the train

The train traveler (name him A) will measure the train length = 375000 km , & will measure time required for light beam to travel from the back of the train to the front of the train = 1.25 second (as light travels in a speed of 300000 km/second)

B will measure the length of the train = 300000 km (as length contraction occurs) , & will measure time required for light beam to travel from the back of the train to the front of the train = 1.5625 second (as time dilation occurs for time of A)

B will measure the distance that light beam traveled = 180000 * 1.5625 (the distance that train traveled) + 300000 (the length of train as B measured it) = 281250 + 300000 = 581250 km (B will measure that light travels this distance at 1.5625 second) i.e. B will measure the speed of light = 372000 km/second

Does this prove that light speed is not constant for all observers?

May be I’m intelligent, may be I’m a fool
    But I must try , to know what ma I
    Even if I’m a fool
    I hope you will reply

Thanks
    tucsonmac Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2006, 10:31 AM
    The problem as I see it is that the light is outside of the train, therefore there is no time dilation. The time for the light to reach the front of the train is 2.5 seconds. During this time the train travels 450,000 km. Add to this length to the contracted length of the train, and divide by 2.5 and you get 300,000 km/sec. The postulate is upheld.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New countertop experiment? [ 7 Answers ]

We were watching DIY network and they showed us how to redo the kitchen countertops using epoxy grout for the entire surface. We were wondering if anyone has really tried this and if so, what were the outcomes? Is it worth it or will it just make the kitchen look worse than it already is. It was...

Phyics Experiment [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am a High school student and working on a Rocket shoot experiment. The objective of this experiment is to hit someone with a a rocket using specifications that each student has. The main part of this experiment is to calculate the horizontal distance from the rocket to where the person has to...

View more questions Search