Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 15, 2008, 03:35 AM
    PDF and Java Issue
    Hi there, dear computer experts.

I have had several different PDF creator apps.
    And since I want to keep a 'book' of my interaction on AMHD, I have tried to 'print' different threads to a PDF file. Well, not one of them makes me happy in this case.

I tried to send the PDF file, but it was too large, so took a screenshot and attaching a JPG so that you can see what happens to the first page, and a few others, especially when there are avatars in the poster's reply.

This happens all the time, but only with this site, so could it be a Java issue, or is there something simple I can do to get it to print my page without losing words. I tried the Java text style change, and that works, but it does not have the pictures too and I want them.

Hope one of you has an idea on how I can fix this... thanks.
    Attached Images

JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 04:57 AM
    I don't know why your text is shifting, that is usually a printer driver issue. For chuckles I just printed a thread to PDF and it came out nicely.

The PDF creation tool I use is PrimoPDF. It's free, it installs as a printer, so you can choose it from inside any program. Give it a shot, see if it works better for you:

Free PDF Creator - Convert to PDF from Any File You Can Print - PrimoPDF
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 15, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Thank you dear.
    If this works, I will uninstall my Billzip PDF generator and the other PDF creators that I have. I don't want my PC loaded with a lot of apps that do the same thing.

I have Acrobat Pro 6 which Vista does not like much, but am using it anyway to edit my PDF documents and append to make one book our of several PDF files. Adobe has a few updates that Vista will not let me install either, but it still works. But it will not let me 'print' the way I used to be able to in my other window's versions. That's why I had to look for a PDF creator in the first place.

Another issue with Vista is that I have some dumb folders that an app created and no matter what I do, I cannot delete them even though they are empty. I have tried everything, I,e. taking control of all folders individually, but no luck. Even tried to delete them through command line, but get 'access denied'... any suggestions?

Again thanks for your help, and I will try the app in the link.

Software Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 09:57 AM
    PrimoPDF is awesome and also has the ability to merge PDF docs by simply APPENDING to an existing PDF as you print more.

It is printer driver only, though. It has no PDF editing capabilities. I do all my file creation and editing in Office programs, then just print everything into PDF booklets for publication.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 15, 2008, 10:24 AM
    I use MS Office for normal writing, but sometimes I want things from IE or Firefox and it's a hassle to copy to word, edit, and then print to PDF from there because of all the editing - it's too time-consuming.

It is finished downloading and I will give it a try.. will let you know.

Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 15, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Well dear, Primo is working, and my posts came out great, just your post #2 was shifted. So I guess I just have to try different setting and resolutions and go from there. But is is the best choice so far and I will stick to it.

Thanks again dear for your help on this one.

Have a great evening.

Software Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Another satisfied customer...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Java [ 4 Answers ]

We can not instantiate an abstract class. But we can write a constructor in abstract class. If we are not able to create an object, then how and why is it possible to create a constructor in an abstract class?

I have a shower issue and venting issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 showers in my house 1 downstairs and 3 upstairs. Two of the 3 upstairs have stopped having hotwater in them, shower A is a tub shower combined unit and has no hot water in it, shower B is a shower only with a jetted tub in the same bathroom but not single unit. The shower in B has no hot...

Java [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, I heard a rumor that Microsoft wasn't going to support Java by the year 2008. Has anyone else heard this? If so, do you know what effect, if any, this willhave on Java programming. What I mean is will Java be phased out or is there a lot more uses for Java. I don't know that much about it...

Java! [ 2 Answers ]

Please will you help me with these questions... where can I find a great site that will help me answer these... 1/ Who developed Java and when? 2/ What are some unique features of Java? 3/ Is java used for websites or stand alone programs? 4/ What does it mean when I say java is an "object...

Java Help! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right category, but I sure hope someone can still help me. I'm not able to view Java applets. I've downloaded the most recent version of JVM. I have version 1.4.1. I've tried changing some settings (like enabling Java in my internet...

View more questions Search