Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kreese Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 01:00 AM
    Possible defamation after quitting a job
    I recently left a job in home improvement sales as the economy was effecting my take home pay (100 % commission) I had to find a more stable salaried job and I did. So I quit and asked the company for back pay they owed me which they did not like but they paid. I just recently heard from a customer of mine that the company told her that they fired me and that the problems she was having with their product was because of my incompetence so they fired me. None of which is true I decided to leave the company and demanded they pay me money owed. They paid me and are probably not happy about it. I am really pissed and want to take some action. Does anyone see any wrong doing on their part? If so is it compensable?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kreese
    I recently left a job in home improvement sales as the economy was effecting my take home pay (100 % commission) I had to find a more stable salaried job and I did. So I quit and asked the company for back pay they owed me which they did not like but they paid. I just recently heard from a customer of mine that the company told her that they fired me and that the problems she was having with their product was because of my incompetence so they fired me. None of which is true I decided to leave the company and demanded they pay me money owed. They paid me and are probably not happy about it. I am really pissed and want to take some action. Does anyone see any wrong doing on their part? If so is it compensable?

Following this (and I'm quoting myself) is a very brief, to the point thread I wrote about defamation/slander. It all comes down to proof AND DAMAGES.

What are your financial damages here?

"Briefly - Generally in law libel refers to permanent/written statements and slander refers to non-permanent/spoken statements. Defamation (of character) covers both categories.

You must be damaged - and prove damages - in order to recover. The statements (either written or spoken) must be false but presented as though they were true and be beyond offensive, derogatory or insulting. Such statement must rise to a level which actually harms a person’s reputation. In general the person making the statement must either know it isn’t true or make the statement without attempting to verify if it is true.

The defense to defamation is that the information was not presented as the truth (which covers gossip), that the information was never secret (privileged) and was always public."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quitting After Accepting [ 2 Answers ]

I just accepted a new job & immediately thereafter was offered another one that I know is more important to the start of my career. I cannot turn this down, despite that I just underwent a week of training & am desperately needed at my current company. I do not know my boss well enough, nor have I...

Quitting Smoking? [ 11 Answers ]

Okay so, I want to quit smoking, the thing is, I smoke when I am bored, so to quit smoking I would need to find soemthing else to do with my hands instead of smoking. A friend of mine, she quit smoking and now she eats when she is bored. I don't want to eat all the time... I think I need a hobby...

Quitting shoplifting [ 6 Answers ]

I'm not sure if I'm in the right section to ask about shoplifting, but here I go. I used to shoplift regularly, and I have gotten in a lot of trouble doing it. I have been to jail for 30 days , and am now on diversion for 2 years. Im finally done with shoplifting and will never do it again, but...

View more questions Search