Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

Sep 11, 2008, 02:22 PM
    How to handle a job offer.
    Hello,

I have worked for a large corporate (6000+ employees) for the past two summers as an intern while going to school. In May I will be graduating and they have called and offered me a full time job position pending graduation. I have a few questions...

How do I handle the original offer? I have heard that it is wise to reject the first offer and come back with a counter offer in hopes of getting a larger salary. Is this a wise choice? I am only 21 years old, but I have about 9-10 months experience with this company, in the same department. I have been accustomed to the corporate culture there, I know their policies, procedures and systems, so it is easier for them to not have to train someone...

I believe that I have quite a good rapport with not only my manager, but many of the other managers which work around me. The intern program was a large initiative, so I have met many of the managers from other groups in the same department (IT department that is). The HR rep who talked to me also said that while other interns may not be working in the same department, they have heard "high" things about me from managers so I will be in the same department which I was in (my choice dept).

My question is this: Is a counter offer the best way to go about doing this? Is there a risk that they will retract my original offer if I make a counter offer? How much more should I ask for given I am to make a counter offer?

Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Thank you.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Some people spend months after graduation looking for a job in there field. You have been offered the job you want in a company you like working for in the department you want to be in - I hope you realize how rare that is. Congratulations! You obviously worked hard to have gotten this offer.

Is the offer reasonable? Is the salary competitive? Are there any benefits included? Is there a bonus structure? Have they laid out a path for you that will allow you to grow? These are the things I would be concerned about.

You have the benefit of knowing your employer. Do you think that they have made the best offer that they have?

Based on what you have told us, if it is a decent offer I would happily accept it.
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

Sep 11, 2008, 03:30 PM
    The company has always been good to me, at least the last two summers that I worked there. In addition, much of the workforce has been there 15+ years which I assume means the company treats its employees well. If people stick around that long, they must like it. I'm not exactly sure where the salary should be, perhaps I'll try to do some investigating on the internet and see what I can find :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 04:25 PM
    I would do exactly what you just suggested Biggie, research. If the offer is reasonable then take it, it's not always a good idea to counter offer.

They obviously want you in their employ, and I'm sure that this is just a starting position with room to grow. This is a great opportunity, and I say take it as is.

Of course, I'm a wimp, and don't usually challenge an offered salary, unless I really don't love the job and don't care too much if I get it or not. You seem to really want this job, so maybe it's best not to rock the boat.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes, whichever route you decide to take. :)
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 07:38 PM
    I agree, do some research on the company and the competitive salary the other companies are offering. Also, it doesn't hurt to start applying to other companies as september/october is recruiting season for a lot of corporate companies.

However, others do have a point that right now, with the economy and the job market, having a secured job is... shall we say... beneficial.

In the past 9 days I've opened my restaurant, I've had 11 people come and ask for a job... and they've even offered to get paid minimum wage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing handle from a Moen single-handle shower [ 5 Answers ]

The shower is dripping and I am trying to get to the stem by removing the handle. I can see a set screw recessed into the bottom of the handle. I have tried an allen wrench but bent it without any success.

Job Offer [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get a job online and earning at home?

Only hit it once, new job offer. [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so, I am not a drug user but, one night I got way to drunk to turn anything down, thank god there were people there with me I trusted to watch most of the things I did. Well, I took one hit off a thing called a... one hitter(?) This was in the middle of June (keep in mind) 1st time doing it in...

Replacing single handle bathtub handle with 2 handles [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am redoing the tile in my bathroom and want to change my single handle hot/cold fixture with a 2 handle fixture... Can I do this myself or do I need a plumber?. My house was built in the 1960's and the faucet seem original.. I do have access from the back and will have access in front once...

View more questions Search