Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msealey Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Home Cleaning Service
    Hi,

I want to start my own home cleaning business part-time with the hopes of going full time. My goal is to earn exceedingly above and beyond my current salary so that I can quit my job. I've already looked into becoming licensed and bonded.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was reading through the forum and I noticed a member by the name of Stinger is in the same type of business. I would be extremely interested in hearing back from you.

Look forward to all of your responses!

Thank you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2008, 01:36 AM
    Hi, msealey!

I originally left your question alone in the hopes that Stringer would notice it, because he really does know his stuff about that type of business and his advice is second to none.

Hopefully, he will be along eventually. In the meantime, I do have a question for you, and that would be, what kind of cleaning experience to you already have working for others doing that kind of thing in order to make a profit for yourself, please?

Thanks!

Sep 22, 2008, 09:39 AM

Thank you for reply. To answer your question, I have never cleaned for anyone except for myself. I do an exceptional job though. My husband can always tell when I've cleaned upon walking in our home.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 03:12 PM

Clough... you are too kind my friend, thank you. You know I have been extremely busy lately and I haven't had the time I would like to be here. But I had a feeling, yes a feeling that I should check in...

Msealey please start by telling me in what country, state, city are you located?

What business experience in any business do you have?

Do you have any contacts for labor? That is, do you have a source for helpers/employees?

Please answer these questions and we can go from there... K?

Stringer

Sep 24, 2008, 05:58 AM

Thank you for replying Stringer. I'm in Tampa, FL, I don't have any business experience and as of today no contacts. I personally plan to do the cleaning myself with the hopes of hiring employees once the demand increases.
    Business Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 08:53 AM

Hi, I am sorry but I only have a minute at present but one thing that will help a great deal initially is to have at least one other person to help you. Even if it is part time;

You can do only so much within any given hour at least with one other person with flexible hours you can cut the linear hours at each house/home and be available to do additional homes.

There is much more to discuss and I will get back when I can. Please review the posts on AMHD pertaining to "cleaning service" in the interim. You will find everything from low cost marketing, equipment, insurance, cleaning methods, etc...

Stringer

Sep 25, 2008, 08:22 AM

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Business Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 05:52 PM

Msealey I want to apologize to you I have been exceptionally busy and I have not had the time to spend with you that I would have liked to.

Have you reviewed the posts that I suggested? If so, are there any direct questions that you have?

Just ask...

Stringer
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Hi, msealey and Stringer!

I should have done this earlier on this thread. Sometimes it can be hard to locate specific threads about a subject because they can be located in a number of topic areas.

In the next post, I have compiled links to a number of threads that have to do with starting a cleaning service of some kind. The list is by no means exhaustive, but at least it's a start. There is much information on the threads. I haven't listed them in any order of importance, but did try to use the ones that seemed to have the most information on them.

Hopefully someday, Stringer and I can collaborate on making a Sticky about starting a cleaning service of any kind so that people wouldn't have to do so much searching on this site when they do come here and are asking about such a thing.

Now, I'm going to add the following words in phrases to this thread so that it will get excellent results when people do searches for this kind of thing on the Internet.

Starting a cleaning service, starting a cleaning business, how to start a home-based cleaning business, start-up advice for a cleaning company, self-employed as a house cleaner, home cleaning services, advertising my cleaning business, promoting a cleaning service, how to start cleaning in homes, how to clean a home or office, costs to start a cleaning service, how to price cleaning homes, office cleaning prices, pricing for a cleaner business, Internet advertising for a cleaning service, promoting a cleaning service...

I may add to that later as more ideas come to me. One thing that I do for myself and also for others, is that I know how to get a business really exposed when people do searches for things on the Internet. As such, that's one of the businesses that I do, being website development and advertising on the Internet for people. I have been doing Internet advertising for over three years now, and most of the business that I get, comes from the free ads that I've placed on the Internet. Not every site gets great exposure, but this one does. Since I haven't really promoted my business here nor provided any contact information, it's okay here. I'm not trying to advertise my own business, but am trying to help people here.
    Business Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 09:41 PM

Thanks Clough.. I have been up against it a work for a while and I apologized because of that...

You came through for Msealey when I couldn't, thanks buddy, knew that I could count on you.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2008, 09:46 PM

Gosh, I didn't know you were on here this evening, Stringer! Was going to post something else about you, and then you responded.

Would you like to know what it was going to be? :)
    Business Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Gosh, I didn't know you were on here this evening, Stringer! Was going to post something else about you, and then you responded.

Would you like to know what it was going to be? :)
    Shoot... :)
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Thanks! I was going to mention the following on this thread.

Oh, and by the way, I really appreciate the way that Stringer tries to have a banter and dialogue with others on this site rather than coming off as a know-it-all who has the absolute answer to a question. He's a real team player! :)
    Business Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 10:07 PM
    Thanks! I was going to mention the following on this thread.
    Aww shucks Pilgrim you are making me blush.:eek:..but thank you Clough, I return the compliment my friend.

You give very good and precise advise...
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2008, 10:16 PM

Thanks and you're welcome! Well, it's true, Stringer! I experienced that from you when we first met up on some posts on this site. You tried to dialogue rather than post something that was an absolute. You paid attention to what everyone said.

I'm sure that being not just a leader but a listener and team player is a big part of the reason that your business is so successful!

Sep 26, 2008, 06:23 AM

Hi Clough & Stringer,

Thank you both for your help on this topic. Stringer I have reviewed your posts and no I don't have any questions - yet. Clough thank you very much for posting the links. I'm sure they are going to be very helpful.
    Business Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by msealey View Post
    Hi Clough & Stringer,

Thank you both for your help on this topic. Stringer I have reviewed your posts and no I don't have any questions - yet. Clough thank you very much for posting the links. I'm sure they are going to be very helpful.
    You are welcome my friend, starting a new business is absolutely thrilling and emotional, never loose that feeling or attitude. If you ever let that feeling slip it will become "work."

Like anything else you get out of it what you put into it. Nothing can offer you a more satisfying feeling knowing that you "birthed it", feed/nourished it, fixed it (when necessary), taught it to walk, talk, etc. You actually become a "proud parent' of your business. In the beginning, (first year or two) I was the lowest paid person in my company, obviously that has changed over time.

Always use the following in whatever you do: Five basic management principles:

PLANNING: Know what you want to do and how to do it and how to get there.

ORGANIZING: Organize that plan

STAFFING: Always hire the best most promotable people who give a
    Damn, replace those who don't. (Never forget this-it's
    Your "baby")

CONTROLLING: Control costs, sales, equipment, billings, loses, everything
    At first, delegate as you get larger. But never, never take
    Your finger out of the pie.

FEEDBACK: Set up a system immediately for information flow "back
    to you." A paper trail is a good thing. Always be asking
    Those around you questions; employees, bankers, family
    And ESPECIALLY your clients.

Golden Rule in a service business: "SAY WHAT YOU WILL DO and ALWAYS DO WHAT YOU SAY: MAKE IT RIGHT FOR YOUR CLIENTS."

In the day to day of the business it is easy to forget this because you are wearing so many "hats", do yourself a favor and never do this-your reputation will precede you; good or bad.

Maybe I am old school but I wear a suite and a smile when I meet with prospects or clients AND I always THANK THEM even for complaints. I send a "thank you" card to all new clients also, never miss one.

If you are going to do this, and do it right, then why not be the best damn cleaning company out there... both you and your clients will benefit. Why bother otherwise?

Stringer
    Business Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Thanks and you're welcome! Well, it's true, Stringer! I experienced that from you when we first met up on some posts on this site. You tried to dialogue rather than post something that was an absolute. You paid attention to what everyone said.

I'm sure that being not just a leader but a listener and team player is a big part of the reason that your business is so successful!
    I am sure that if we met (other than on AMHD) we would have been friends. Believe we are of the same cut...

Did you post a picture on the old AMHD Thread for Members' pictures? I posted two, one with my lovely wife Marta. It would be nice to put a face to a friend.

Sep 26, 2008, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the tips Stringer. One thing I do plan to do is leave satisfaction survey cards upon departing client's homes every few months. I am very big on integrity and always stick by my word. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning Service [ 2 Answers ]

How do you bid on jobs such as office buildings and call centers without over bidding?

Home cleaning service [ 1 Answers ]

How do I start to clean houses. Do I need a license?

Cleaning service [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé came up with an idea he wants to start a cleaning service, I am behind him all the way. My question is how do we go about starting this? We are in niagara falls, ny area

Cleaning service [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, do you need a certain license to start a cleaning business and if so do you need to be a certain age

Cleaning Service [ 5 Answers ]

I want to start my own cleaning service, but I have no idea how to get started. My question is what do I need to do to get started?

View more questions Search