Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hhwwe1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Overturning a defaulted garnishment judgement
    Hi,

I have a garnishment judgement against me that was won by default.It was from a payday advance company.After they garnished my check I asked for an istallment order.I was granted that but have since defaulted on payments. They have filed to reinstate the garnishment but in the meantime I have found they were not even legally entitled to the damages they claimed in the original judgement.They charged me 3 times the loan amount under the bad check laws.I have found out that payday companies are not allowed to collect under these laws. They have a cap of $25 for a returned check.
    I have a new hearing asking to make payments again but whagt should I do with this new information?Will the judge even want to hear it?
    I am located in macomb county,MI.

Thanks for any help
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hhwwe1
    hi,

I have a garnishment judgement against me that was won by default.It was from a payday advance company.After they garnished my check i asked for an istallment order.I was granted that but have since defaulted on payments. They have filed to reinstate the garnishment but in the meantime i have found they were not even legally entitled to the damages they claimed in the original judgement.They charged me 3 times the loan amount under the bad check laws.I have found out that payday companies are not allowed to collect under these laws. they have a cap of $25 for a returned check.
    I have a new hearing asking to make payments again but whagt should i do with this new information?Will the judge even want to hear it?

thanks for any help

In many of the payday places you sign an agreement basically handing them the ability to collect as soon as you default.

Why do you think bad check laws apply? You are referring to the amount a bank can charge for a check that is returned insufficient. I don't see that situation here.

What is your defense to not paying? That and the contract are what the Judge will want to hear.

I don't understand why, if they have a garnishment order, there's another hearing - why aren't they just enforcing the garnishment which they apparently withdrew?
    hhwwe1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    In many of the payday places you sign an agreement basically handing them the ability to collect as soon as you default.

Why do you think bad check laws apply? You are referring to the amount a bank can charge for a check that is returned insufficient. I don't see that situation here.

What is your defense to not paying? That and the contract are what the Judge will want to hear.

I don't understand why, if they have a garnishment order, there's another hearing - why aren't they just enforcing the garnishment which they apparently withdrew?

When they tried to withdraw the money the check was returned due to insufficient funds.
    In reality it is a bad check but my state(MI) does not allow payday advance companies to go after consumers using these laws.My defense is I didn't have the ability to pay.
    I objected to the original garnishment and asked for an order for installment payments.
    I was granted the right to make payments but I stopped doing that also.
    Now they want the original garnishment to be upheld.The new hearing is because I objected AGAIN to their renewal of the garnishment.
    ANYWAY the charges that they won in the judgement didn't even comply with the law.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 02:43 PM
    When they tried to withdraw the money the check was returned due to insufficient funds.
    In reality it is a bad check but my state(MI) does not allow payday advance companies to go after consumers using these laws.My defense is i didn't have the ability to pay.
    I objected to the original garnishment and asked for an order for installment payments.
    I was granted the right to make payments but i stopped doing that also.
    Now they want the original garnishment to be upheld.The new hearing is because i objected AGAIN to their renewal of the garnishment.
    ANYWAY the charges that they won in the judgement didn't even comply with the law.

I'm still confused here. You took out a pay day loan. You didn't repay it.

Did you then write a bad check to cover repayment, that's what was returned and that's what they got the Judgment for?

Okay - got it. So you are going back to Court to try to set the Judgment aside, not for a new Judgment.

Inability to pay is not a defense but it's good that your State does not allow contracts to override the law - and payday companies have pulled some pretty terrible stuff.

Come back and let us know how you make out - your experience could very well help someone else.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 01:21 PM
    hi,

I have a garnishment judgement against me that was won by default.It was from a payday advance company.After they garnished my check i asked for an istallment order.I was granted that but have since defaulted on payments. They have filed to reinstate the garnishment but in the meantime i have found they were not even legally entitled to the damages they claimed in the original judgement.They charged me 3 times the loan amount under the bad check laws.I have found out that payday companies are not allowed to collect under these laws. they have a cap of $25 for a returned check.
    I have a new hearing asking to make payments again but whagt should i do with this new information?Will the judge even want to hear it?

thanks for any help
    The problem that you have here is that you didn't show up for the trial and the plaintiff was awarded a default judgment. You cannot take new evidence and try to present it to the court; that should have been done at the trial, which you chose not to attend.

Exactly which laws are you claiming the plaintiff violated? I can't see how you can say that their judgment doesn't comply with the law when you weren't there for the trial; you didn't argue any of the costs or fees that were being asked for by the plaintiff. They didn't come after you just because the check was bad; they came after you because you defaulted on payment. The loan amount tripled due, in all likelihood, to late fees, interest, attorney fees, etc. not just because you bounced one check.

Your defense, which you state is "inability to pay," is not a defense. Any sane judge is not going to accept that as an answer because it's not an answer, it's an excuse. If you didn't have the funds to repay the contract with the plaintiff that you willingly entered into, then you shouldn't have entered into it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment after Judgement SOL date? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, Back in August, 1996 a district court judgement was issued against me for a deficiency balance for a car I let go back to the dealer in 1996. I live in Iowa. The default judgement was entered 9.26.97 and here it is 10/3/07 and they are filing a garnishment against me. The SOL for Iowa...

NJ Judgement & Wage Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently lost a court case and the judgement is for $15K. What is the max amount they can garnish my wages for? What if I try to make payments with the debtor and they do not accept them. What is a reasonable payment amount for $15k? THANK YOU! :eek:

Judgement/Bank Account Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me in the state of TX. I have recently consulted a lawyer and was told my money in my bank account can be garnished. Is that so? What are the chances of a settlement at this point? It will cost me $1000 for a lawyer. I do not know if this is something I can work out...

Judgement and Notification and Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

If a creditor seeks a judgement against you, will they be required to notify you before the judgement is acquired? If not, can they garnish your social security income without notification?

View more questions Search