Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babak423 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 10:50 PM
    Engine oil check
    Hi all

I have a Honda Civic 2001 coupe. I have tried many times to check the engine oil while the car is cool using oil pressure gauge. But each time I found that the whole oil pressure gauge had oil on it, even above the max line. What's wrong with it?

And

What should be the right position of the temp gauge in my car?

Thanks
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 11, 2008, 07:14 AM
    ? Oil pressure gauge?
    You mean the dipstick?

With the engine cool/cold. Remove the dipstick. Wipe it off, then re-insert it fully, then remove and check again. If it is still above the top line there is too much oil in the car. If its only a little above, no worries... if its WAY above, then some needs to come out. (just go get the oil changed)

Position of the temp gauge? In the dashboard? Well... I assume there are no numbers on the gauge... so anywhere in the middle area is fine. If its close to the high point then engine could be running hot.. get it checked out. If its low... and never gets up far... check the heat. Turn on the heater, is it nice and warm? If so, the gauge could be off. If its luke warm or cool... then you might need a new thermostat installed.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 07:27 AM
    The oil splases around in the block and also up the dip stick, so you can't get a decent reading unless the car is cold and the car is level. There really isn't that much oil that would influence the level when it's hot or cold.

If you check say first thing in the morning before starting the car, all the oil settles from the filter, valve cover etc.

I you check any other time, the engine must be OFF, remove dipstick, insert for a few seconds, remove and check.
    babak423 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Thank you so much buddies :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My check engine light comes on then off. [ 3 Answers ]

My check engine light comes on then off after awhile, my gauges act funny for awhile, then Returns to normal. I have 68.000.00 miles on it. I just had a tune up done on it, and This started happening about two weeks after my tune up. Nothing seems wrong other than My gauges acting funny. Please...

Where do you find the plug in to check the check engine light [ 16 Answers ]

I am trying to find the plug in where you plug in the computer to check the check engine light it a 1992 civic can anyone tell me where it located at and if you have picture that would be great thanks if you could tell me the color of the plug in and how many pin in it that would help me in finding...

Check engine [ 1 Answers ]

My check engine light keeps coming on. I have a 1994 Chevy Van , 6 cylinder.

Check Engine [ 1 Answers ]

I Have hyundai sonata 1997 My car shows check engine sign from last 2 weeks.. When I got my car checked.. it said IAS SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION.. Does anyone knows what that means.. and how much is it going to cost me?

1994 Civic - Check Engine "Orange" lamp and Engine revs when idling [ 1 Answers ]

Two questions realting to my Honda Civic ESI - 1994 model. 1) When I turn on the ignition key there is a Check Engine lamp displayed in Orange which is remaining On for progressively longer. Car not be started until this light disappears. Eventually after 3-5 seconds light turns off and engine...

View more questions Search