Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrfancypants Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

May 9, 2006, 03:53 PM
    atoms and bonding
    PLEASE READ THIS AND HELP ME OUT!
    Hey guys, uhh so I don't really like getting help with homework but there are some questions on my science homework, and I love science, but its about atoms, and I don't really understand atoms so I am asking for some help, all right so this is 9th grade science so hope u guys can help, thanks-
    MULTIPLE CHOICE-
    *The electrical charge on an atom as a whole is-
    A)neutral B) negative C) positive D) dependent on the atomic number
    *Chemical bonding occurs so that atoms can-
    A) gain electrons B) lose electrons C) share electrons D) obtain complete outermost energy levels
    *An ionic bond results from-
    A) the sharing of electrons B) attraction between oppositely charged ions C) attraction between ions having the same charge D) attraction between neutrally charged atoms
    *Atoms with a low ionization energy-
    A) lose electrons easily B) gain electorns easily C) tend to form negative ions D) tend to remain neutral
    *The properties of metallic solids result from-
    A) ionic bonds B) covalent bonds C) freely moving electrons D) freely moving nuclei
    *The type of bond that forms between sulfur and oxygen is-
    A) metallic B) ionic C) covalent D) none of the above
    * An atom with an oxidation number of -2 -
    A) has 2 valence electrons B) will form an ion with a charge of +2 C) will form an ion with a chrage of -6 D) has 6 valence electrons
    *A chlorine atom has-
    A) 1 valence electron B) an oxidation number of 17 C) 7 valence electrons D) a filled outermost energy level
    *When writing formulas the sum of the oxidation numbers must equal-
    A) 1 B) 8 C) 0 D) 3
    FILL IN THE BLANK-
    -Word Bank-
    Protons Molecule Covalent Metallic Polyatomic ions Crystal lattice Neutrons Electron cloud
    *The regular, repeating arrangement of ions in an ionic compound results in the formula of a(n) _________.
    *A(n) _________ is a group of covalently bonded atoms that acts as a single atom.
    *A "sea of electrons" occurs when covalent bonds form.
    *The bond formed between two nonmetals would be ________.
    *Which of the following elements will lose electrons when forming chemical bonds? Explane your answer.
    A) potassium B) sodium C) chlorine
    *Calculate the oxidation number of listed element from each compound.
    Cu2O oxidation number of copper ________
    THANKS GUYS FOR ANY HELP YOU COULD GIVE ME! :)
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

May 9, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk.

Instead of giving you all of the answers to your questions I will provide you with links to some notes that can help you to answer them on your own.

Covalent Bonding PowerPoint

Covalent Bonding PDF

Ionic Bonding PowerPoint

Ionic Bonding PDF

Electron Arrangement PowerPoint

Electron Arrangement PDF

Oxidation Numbers PowerPoint

Oxidation Numbers PDF

You will need either the PowerPoint viewer or Adobe Acrobat to view them.
    Good luck! Let us know if you need anything else.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 9, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Or use your textbook and take some logical guesses at the right answers. Id be happy to help you through some topics, but its not realistic to be taught an entire chapter in a post.

Focus first on the theory of atomic structure... the protons, neutrons, electrons, how they are "arranged" and their individual charges and what make one element different from another.

Don't try to do the bonding questions until you get this. Then look at the section on bonding and how atoms can fill their valence shell by bonding or by gaining or losing electrons.

If you have some specific questions you can post them... but again, teaching an entire chapter of bonding theory here is unrealistic, and we don't provide answers to homework. Well happily help you through specific questions.
    mrfancypants Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

May 11, 2006, 05:46 AM
    Hey thanks a ton guys I got a lot of questions answered, thanks again!:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Metallic bonding in Strontium [ 1 Answers ]

How do you show metallic bonding in Strontium metal? How do you show covalent bonding using the dot and cross and stick formation in Silicon Disulphide? What's is the formula for ionic bodning of Beryllium and Phosphorus? What's is the compound

Atoms in grain of sand [ 2 Answers ]

Estimate the number of atoms in a grain of sand. Assume the grain is a 0.25mm (on each side) cube and that average distance between atoms is 10^-10m. Please help me answer this question I have a lot of trouble solving it. Can u show the steps too. Thank you sooo much.

Atoms [ 1 Answers ]

If the electrons in an atom can occupy any of four different energy levels, how many lines might appear in that atom's spectrum? What if the atom has five different energy levels?

View more questions Search