Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Sep 9, 2008, 10:39 AM
    My kitten sucking my vest.
    Suckling even...

I'm a bit worried. Whenever I sit down onto the sofa, my kitten climbs onto my chest and starts suckling my vest and purrs like mad. She does this for ages and then stops because she's fallen asleep.

I'd like to know why she does this. :confused: :confused: :confused:
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Purfectly normal. She loves you and her behaviour is a comfort to her.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 9, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Its normal. Most kitten will grow out of it. If you don't like it... just lift her off and put her on your lap and just pet her. Don't let her continue it.

Sep 9, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Thanks guys. :D
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Is your kitty siamese (or a siamese mix)? They are notorious for being wool-suckers. If not, kitty should grow out of this. Adult siamese may still do it. As long as kitty isn't actually chewing and swallowing the material, it's not dangerous. Put up with it as long as you want, and then put kitty somewhere she can't get to the vest and give her a toy to distract her.
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Sep 10, 2008, 11:16 AM
    I bet that's so cute to see.. but it's normal.. do you have a picture of her?
    ConfusedInAK Posts: 184, Reputation: 16

Sep 10, 2008, 11:21 AM
    I've heard kittens do that if they were weaned too early...

My ex's mother had a cat that would try to suck on your earlobe... LOL he never grew out of it though I'm sorry to say...

Sep 12, 2008, 02:36 PM
    She's a domestic short hair. And yes, she's sooo cute.
    Here's some pics...

arron602 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2008, 06:21 PM
    My cat likes to suck on my neck, its all cute and stuff when there babies but as they get biger and the claws get bigger, its sucks. I would wait and see if he grows out of it, if not, break him out of it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 12, 2008, 06:23 PM
    I had a siamese that never stopped this behaviour, he actually sucked on a sheep rug, and he did it until the day he died. It was really cute to see, he'd claw at it, and suckle, and then eventually fall asleep. It's normal, and something that comforts them. :)
    hannah_nicole Posts: 163, Reputation: 13

Sep 16, 2008, 09:37 PM
    My friend had a kitten that would suckle the tip of her tail compulsively as she was weaned too early. They started to put tea tree oil on it and she soon stopped the behaviour however her tail has a funny kink in it from doing it lol so if you ever want her to stop put something she finds unpleasant on whatever she's suckling. And she is really cute :)
    Rolltideman Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2008, 07:24 PM

As with many cat behaviors, it's usually milk related. Most cats only do the rhythmic "kneading" of the front paws, relating back to the squeezing of the mother to get milk.
    QUACKERS Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Sep 27, 2008, 04:56 PM

The kitten has been took away from the mother to early and as adopted you as mum so don't worry.purring means a cat is contented, good work mum lol chris.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Still sucking her thumb [ 4 Answers ]

My sister has a 10 year old that still sucks her thumb. :eek: Any suggestions on how we can break that habit?

Thumb sucking [ 5 Answers ]

My friend who is almost 29 (next year) she still suck her thumb most of the time when sitting watching television. Why is that?

Thumb Sucking [ 8 Answers ]

All of this talking about Aidan has made me think of a question I have been wanting to ask. How do I stop him from sucking his thumb? He has never been fond of pacifiers, but he loves his thumb. His thumbs are already all dried out and chapped from him doing this. My sister was a thumb sucker...

Thumb sucking [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is addicted to keep her thumb in mouth. She often do this when she feel sleepy. I tried several times to remove, but she is not. Can anyone suggest a best practive to avoid this. Please fast. Regards, Krishna _ India

View more questions Search