Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kitkatmandu Posts: 6, Reputation: -1

Sep 9, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Florida used car contracts
    I was going to buy a used car in Florida, changed my mind after signing the papers BUT not before payment was given. Am I legally bound to purchase this car since I never gave them a dime of my money? Need answer quickly!! ANyone.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Yes, you are. Or they are at least entitled to damages for the amount that your backing out of the contract costs them (costs for additional advertising, the difference between what you agreed to and some one who pays less, etc.)

Sep 10, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    Yes, you are. Or they are at least entitled to damages for the amount that your backing out of the contract costs them (costs for additional advertising, the difference between what you agreed to and some one who pays less, etc.)
    Can you tell me where to find this information legally? This was a used car at a dealership, they didn't spend a dime advertising to sell this car, it was not part of regular stock and they bloated at what a great deal they gave me and said they could have gotten at least $2,000 more from some one else. I told them to do so then. See what mean?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 10:48 PM
    You signed a contract, stating that you would give them $X, and they would give you a car. The time to find out whether you were getting a deal was before you signed the contract. Unless you can prove you signed under duress, the law is designed to enforce contracts, and thus will punish the party that breaks them. So, they have the right to sue you for any damages your breach of the contract caused them, and that may include forcing you to honor the contract. It's the flip side of the law that protects you from having them agree to sell you a car, and then turning around and selling the car to someone else who offers them more money than you did.

Sep 11, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    You signed a contract, stating that you would give them $X, and they would give you a car. The time to find out whether you were getting a deal was before you signed the contract. Unless you can prove you signed under duress, the law is designed to enforce contracts, and thus will punish the party that breaks them. So, they have the right to sue you for any damages your breach of the contract caused them, and that may include forcing you to honor the contract. It's the flip side of the law that protects you from having them agree to sell you a car, and then turning around and selling the car to someone else who offers them more money than you did.
    Froggy7, Then why does the contract I have say in Caplital Letters.. "THIS IS AN AGREEMENT TO PURCHASE, NOT A BINDING CONTRACT"?? Also, are you an Attorney?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitkatmandu
    I was going to buy a used car in Florida, changed my mind after signing the papers BUT not before payment was given. Am I legally bound to purchase this car since I never gave them a dime of my money?? Need answer quickly!!! ANyone.

What does your contract say? People buy cars all the time without putting money down - the language in the contract will determine whether it's binding or not.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Froggy7, Then why does the contract I have say in Caplital Letters.."THIS IS AN AGREEMENT TO PURCHASE, NOT A BINDING CONTRACT"???? Also, are you an Attorney?

Froggy is not a mind reader. Maybe if you'd post all the facts from the beginning, at the same time, you'd be happier with the answers and less angry.

This is not a message board designed so you can argue with people who answer you. Don't tread it like one. Again, post all the information so people answering you have a fair chance to give you the appropriate information.

If you want advice from an Attorney, call one.

If you want advice based on experience, study, then ask here.

And some people on this board are either para-professionals OR Attorneys.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Can you tell me where to find this information legally? This was a used car at a dealership, they didn't spend a dime advertising to sell this car, it was not part of regular stock and they bloated at what a great deal they gave me and said they could have gotten at least $2,000 more from some one else. I told them to go ahead and do so then. See what mean?

So it was $2,000 over value and you signed a contract anyway?

Sep 11, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Wow, sounds like Froggy is Angry to me. I am not angry, It really doesn't matter to me. I am broke and if they try and sue me, well they will get nothing. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnup. At least I know now to include them in my bankruptcy just in case! Thanks to Froggy!
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Wow, sounds like Froggy is Angry to me. I am not angry, It really doesn't matter to me. I am broke and if they try and sue me, well they will get nothing. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnup. At least I know now to include them in my bankruptcy just in case! Thanks to Froggy!

Good, glad it worked out for you.

Sep 11, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    Answer is not relevant.
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 08:50 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    kitkatmandu : answer is not relevant.QUOTE]

Totally juvenile, revenge reddy - OP is trying to get out of contract based on vehicle being overpriced $2,000 - and yet OP signed the contract at that purchase price.

Simple question, no answer from OP.

Sure someone will come along with a comment.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Sure someone will come along with a comment.
    You bet your sweet bippy I will.

What paperwork did you sign exactly? Are you stating that all you signed was a purchase contract? If the dealer didn't accept your offer to purchase, then you're under no obligation to pay. However, if the dealer accepted your offer, it becomes a binding contract and you do have an obligation to purchase that vehicle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Levy the contracts [ 1 Answers ]

If the debtor has differents contracts from city and county of los angeles, do you think I can go to served the city and county with my writ of execution papers? And do you think either one of them will release the money to me as a creditor? Thanks.

Rent Contracts in CA [ 1 Answers ]

I have rented a house in CA for 2 years. 1 year after the rent started I got an offer to relocate and I gave the landlord a notice that I might ask to leave the house before the end of the contract. Two weeks after the email I have sent the landlord my offered contract oversea was canceled. When I...

Baseball contracts [ 2 Answers ]

I am needing to know if a baseball player can sign a major league contract for any time frame including less than a year? Is there any rule, policy, etc. against his doing so?

No contracts.. [ 4 Answers ]

My workplace is just getting quieter and queter. The boss has already got rid of someone as he isn't making enough money to cover his wages. He cut this guys wages, so he left. He was bascially trying to get rid of him. A lot of people are leaving and now there are only a few of us left. What...

Land Contracts [ 4 Answers ]

I have been trying to sell my house for six months now. My realtor's agreement is about to expire, so I thought of listing the property myself as I can sell it for less without the realtor fee. I was considering to advertise it with a land contract to attract more prospective buyers. I...

View more questions Search