Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gerryrob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 03:51 AM
    Installing a basement bathroom
    I need to break up a concrete floor to install and join the plumbing in a 50 year old dwelling. Am I likely to find clay sewage pipes or iron pipes and what precautions should I take?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 08:39 AM
    I think we need to get this moved to plumbing so the actual plumbers can help. I don't do rough in work but Tom, Milo and Mark can help you. Where do you live and do you know if a building permit is required for your work? Breaking the floor and installing a 3" drain connecting to your existing is just a start. You also need to vent this new plumbing so check to see where your current vent stack is located and be prepared to tell the guys additional info.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 9, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryrob
    I need to break up a concrete floor to install and join the plumbing in a 50 year old dwelling. Am I likely to find clay sewage pipes or iron pipes and what precautions should I take?
    Unless you have a really old house the drainage will be cast iron A typical basement rough in goes down like this. Toilet connects to sewer main. Lavatory connects to toilet drain and runs a vent off the top the stubout tee out the roof or revents back into a dry vent in the attic.. The toilet wet vents through the lavatory vent and the tub/shower connects to the lavatory drain and is wet vented by it. This is a normal rough in and is acceptable both by local and state codes and also The Standard Plumbing Code Book in 90 percent of the country. Check your local codes to make sure you're not in the excluded 10 percent.. The vent off the lavatory may be run out the roof or revented back into a dry vent in the attic or if you're reventing back into a fixtures dry vent you must make your connection at least 6 inches over that fixtures flood rim. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Hey Gerryrob...

Click on this link.. it starts rough but ends up going through most of what is involved in doing an underground plumbing job for basement bathroom... including pictures!

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...om-252241.html

Read up at the post and then let us know if you have any questions...

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a new bathroom in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a toilet a shower and sink in my basement but I am not sure of all the plumbing and tubing I need inorder to accomplish my task. I would like to know If you can give me a step by step process on how to install the bathroom to the basement when I don't have anything...

Installing Basement Bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

Very Novice Do It Yourself'er, Installing Comode 20' from line in basement. Already jackhammered concrete. What slope should I use on the line going from the new lav to the main. My thoughts are about 2.75 inches down for every three inches of pipe. I'd like to go less but I'm not sure if that...

Installing basement bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing a stubbed basement bathroom, want to install a shower, a pedestal sink and a toilet. I know I don’t have the plumbing skills so I will be having a professional come out but I had some questions as to what was what so I could get a mental “placement picture” if you will of the...

Installing a Basement Bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 35-year-old house, which does not have a roughed in place for a bathroom, and I am looking at putting one in. I was looking at the saniflo toilets and they seem like they will be right for me. I am looking at putting in 1 toilet and 2 sinks. My question is how do I vent this...

Installing a new basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I am so glad I found this forum! I am a beginner in most aspects of home repair and remodelling but I am a quick learner and have been around plumbing in my childhood days (older brother was a plumber). About 7 years ago I had to completely replace our sewage ejection pump when my...

View more questions Search