Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Monya79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Husband wants divorce and I have to leave country
    Hi,

My husband is not happy in our marriage and even if I don't agree, he asked me for a divorce after 1 year of marriage and a 6 years relationship.
    I love him very much and I don't want to do this but I can't stay with him like this..
    I'm from Europe and I have a conditional resident green card, the condition will expire next year and I will have to go back to Europe and start from scratch.. because this is not my decision but his, is there a way I will get alimony to start over again? I don't want to ask him anything but I will have to start my life over again, I left everything for him.. anybody has any idea?
    Thank you
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 12:30 AM
    What exactly is the reason for a divorce? If you have sufficient proofs of your 6 years relationship and 1 year marriage, you may be eligible to file for a self-petition to remove condition on your green card, which simply means you may be able to become permanent resident on your own. Discuss this issue with your immigration attorney.

Since your marriage lasts only a year, you are not eligible for alimony but you may be eligible for temporary spousal support. This matter should be discussed with divorce attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 Tax returns if they leave to their own country within 2 years of arrival [ 3 Answers ]

Hai, I have a question regarding my (J1) Tax returns. As far as I know J1 persons can get total tax amount return, if they leave before exceeding (within) two years from USA. The Question is that is on two years Like two calender years

Move across the country, now divorce, WHAT'S NEXT?? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband has been going through a very rough custody battle. 2 1/2 years ago his ex wife moved his 2 children to Colorado (we live in Ohio). Of course the judge here let her and the kids go. One year later they moved to California. Her husband was stationed in the military in CO and then...

View more questions Search