Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    willarrington Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Submersible vs jet pump
    I have a well that is 44 ft to the bottom. The well is 500 feet to the cabin. The cabin is up hill 30 feet on a slow incline. Which pump would work the best in this situation. The well is an old 8 inch steel pipe well.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 03:51 AM
    I'd use a jet pump here, set up for a "deep well" configuration. I put "deep well" in quotes since that is a bit misleading. A hundred feet is pushing it for a jet pump. At any rate, it will handle forty four feet fine. The distance to your cabin and it's elevation don't affect the pump type so much, but I would run one inch pipe to the cabin as opposed to three quarters.

This site gives a pretty good description of the setup:

Water Well Pumping, Well Pump Diagram, Well Pump Prices
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Sep 9, 2008, 05:01 AM
    jlisenbe and I disagree on this one for the first time. I despise deep well jet pumps. I have worked on so many of them for hours and hours due to losing prime. If your water table is high 20 feet or less, you could go shallow well jet pump. Most jet pumps are convertible from deep to shallow well.

But, my first choice without a doubt would be submersible. It is quieter, it would put out as much pressure as you would ever want at that depth, and you could go with a 1/2 hp. If the pump is at 50 feet, you could get about 8-10 gallons per minute up at 50 or 60 psi with even the smallest 10gpm 1/2 hp submersible. I would hang the pump on schedule 80 pvc pipe.

I would also go with a 3-wire pump which uses a control box up top. In a 2-wire pump, all of the controls are in the motor. It is easier to install, but if something goes bad, you have to get another pump.

If you size the 1/2 hp pump with a 35-gallon or larger bladder tank, you should be pleased.

I agree that I would use at least 1" pipe or even 1-1/4". It amazes me how people restrict their water flow between their well and the house. Why not spend just a few dollars extra and put in the larger pipe? You will have friction loss, and head loss going up-hill. It just makes sense to go up-size.

In summary, the submersible provides more water, more pressure for same hp. It will use less electricity from lower hp. It can't lose prime! It's quieter.

This is all subject to change based on your water depth. You told us it is only 44' to the bottom, but you didn't tell us what the water level is.

Let us know.
    Al
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Al makes a lot of good points. I guess I just like the idea of a pump above ground as opposed to being forty feet down when it comes time to work on it, especially since he referred to this as being a "cabin". I take that to mean it will not be used on a constant basis. However, at only forty feet down, the homeowner could probably do the submersible pump option without a lot trouble.

You're probably right on this one, Al.

Sep 9, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Thanks for your help. I got a quote for around $700 for the pump, pipe, installation, and hooking up the bladder tank but not running the pipe to the house. It sounded like a good price. I figure it will probably cost me about the same for the pipe up to the house, is that correct? We have been fighting problems for years on losing the prime with the jet pump or the pump getting stuck and not turning. Hopefully, I can go out there and just relax. It is a well that we use about once a month.

Sep 9, 2008, 01:39 PM
    What area are you in? I got to tell you, that is an excellent price for the pump installation! This is a reputable contractor, correct? Make sure he uses a proper well-seal at top. And, be sure and chlorine shock the well to kill any bacteria that may be there.

As for the line up to the house, I would think it would be considerably less than that. It is probably not even $100 in materials, even with quality valves.
    Al

Sep 9, 2008, 02:24 PM
    In the abilene tx area. Remote contractor but highly recommended from a pump distributor in the area. He has a certain license which he says is impt in the installation

Sep 9, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Dang, count your blessings! That was about $300 cheaper than our area.
    Al
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 02:56 PM
    As Al said, that is a good price for the pump install.

To lay your line, you can rent a trencher. 500' of 1" PVC would probably cost a couple of hundred dollars. Not a difficult job.

Sep 9, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Thanks jlisenbe. I forgot that it was 500'. I was thinking 30', but that was just the elevation difference. I would still go with 1-1-/4". There will be a lot of head loss and friction loss for that much pipe uphill.

Trenchers here rent for $75/ day. In Texas, 2 feet should be plenty of depth.
    Al

Sep 9, 2008, 07:05 PM
    What scheduled pipe would you run or is there just 1 thickness. There is a lot of drying out in this area and I don't want the pipe poping out of the ground or cracking.

Sep 9, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Schedule 40. 2' of cover is code here in central FL for pipe sizes 2" and under. So, you should be fine burying it 2'.
    Al

Sep 9, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Thanks for all your help. THis really gives me an idea of what to ask the contractor. I will let you all know what I find out.

Sep 10, 2008, 04:48 AM
    You are welcome. Glad we could help!
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low pressure from submersible well pump [ 10 Answers ]

I'll summarize what my situation is and what I've done so far. Pressure tank doesn't fill with water Pressure tank air pressure is 28 PSI Tried installing brand new pressure switch and water pressure gauge Water pressure gauge rose to 26 PSI when I turned the pump breaker back on It stays at...

Frozen submersible pump [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Catskills on the mountain and neighbors that have wells have sulphur smelling water. So I take the water from the brook that runs by my house, a brook that is fed with springs about 1/4 mile upstream. Last night it was so cold that my submersible pump in the creek froze. It was partly up...

Submersible Pump [ 6 Answers ]

A friend asked me to hook up his water pump. He has the red black yellow and green wires running to the house, which he wants hooked up to the box. This is not right is it. I thought that power came from main box to a control box and these wires hooked to control box from pump?

How can I get the old submersible pump out? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I asked the submersible pump question a while ago and speedball1 helped me a lot. I have additional question now. I have located the well. Can you tell me the steps to pull the pump out? Is it doable for an layman like me? I am pretty comfortable to explorer things but would like to...

View more questions Search