Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ekirner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Blood Clots
    I'm 40 years old and I'm having some serious blood clots during my current period. It is extremely uncomfortable and somewhat embarrassing I'm wondering if this a sign of early menopause or should I see a doctor?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 09:28 AM
    Time to see your doctor and have your hormone levels checked as well as iron levels.
    scross Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 08:23 AM
    At 48, I'm well into perimenopause (pre-menopause). I read that lack of estrogen leads to uterine lining clotting, as opposed to normal thin blood flow. This must clog things up and cause more cramping, but no flow on your heaviest day. I took a dose of Estroven, found in most grocery stores, drank a couple of cups of Soy Milk (Silk brand) and took one aspirin to help thin out the clots. The pain of the constant cramping left within 4 hours, and within 12 hours, my period resumed and the clots started passing. I also had my first "hot flash" that day before starting the soy products, so looks like my estrogen levels had fallen to a new low. Small clots started around 40 and have gotten larger over the years.
    As others have described this lack of estrogen and cramping, I agree it can be debilitating. Since soy replicates estrogen and since HRT (hormone replacement therapy) has well known side effects, I am minimizing taking soy to only when really needed. I may take one Estroven a day during my period and 2 on the heaviest day, supplemented with a cup of soy, until I no longer have periods. Others have written that D&C options didn't work. Read about ablation but would like to avoid any surgical procedures, if possible

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blood clots [ 3 Answers ]

For the past couple of months when I get my period I have very big blood clots that come with it. This is unusual for me. Sometimes have more then 7. Is this a problem?

How many is to many blood clots [ 1 Answers ]

I am on my period and while I was on the tolet I saw 13 blood clots is that ok:confused:

Blood Clots [ 1 Answers ]

Im a 18 year old college student and I found out not too long ago that I was animec. I was told to take iron pills yet I just couldn't take them because I'm not much of a pill taker. Lately my periods have became heavier and I have blood clots more often and definitely bigger than I have before. Is...

Blood Clots & DVT [ 2 Answers ]

I have asked a lot of questions today, this is my last one for the evening. The situation is - I am going on holiday to canada and I am on the pill microgynon 30. Its probably going to be around a 7 hour flight, quite cramped, I know that a side effect of the pill is you being more likely to...

View more questions Search