Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    treborc Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2006, 12:11 PM
    Refinishing floor
    I have done this before in a other house we used to own. I rented the drum sander the edger the large buffer etc took a few days but wasn't that hard. The other floor was in fair shape and just had a carpet pad stapled on.

The "new old house" has maple floors but when I pulled up the carpet on this one there was a carpet pad again and I thought for a second great this is going to be just like the other house. Unfortunately the entire floor is covered in a black substance left over from an earlier carpet. You know the kind I am not sure what its called but it has a black pad. Any suggestions on the best way to take this up as I can see the trowel marks in some places from the glue. Not sure if I should just go rent the big drum sander and have it but I am afriad that would clog up pretty quick.

Thanks T
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 9, 2006, 03:12 AM
    Haven't done a floor like that in a long time, but I do know that old black adhesive can be nasty. I've seen a few ruined floors from sanding too far; digging down too far in the good parts and still leaving the adhesive in others.

If it were me today, I'd get 2-3 professionals "bids" for the job and when they're there ask them how they'll do it... chat a bit and get their take on how to do it effectively. My guess is that I'd hear "yeah, we go through alot of sanding sheets and just work it carefully", but maybe they've got a trick up their sleeve.

... then from there decide whether I'm confident enough to do it right, or fork out the bucks to have them do it with a guarantee.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refinishing brick fireplace [ 13 Answers ]

I want to get rid of an ugly brick fireplace in the easiest manner. Is it possible to just prime it and use venetian plaster paint... or use a quick crete or sand topping over the brick and then prime and paint that?

Refinishing floors-timeline [ 2 Answers ]

We just bought an apartment that is a converted office building which was re-done about 4 years ago. The floors are hardwood and I think they look pretty good but my boyfriend really wants to sand/refinish them. We are also renovating our small kitchen which also has wood floors. My question is:...

Corian refinishing [ 0 Answers ]

My Corian countertops are scratched, and I wanted to refinish them. Any ideas? (By the way, just tried a palm sander with 400 grit paper on one, and was left with sander marks and dull finish) thanks for any help.

Refinishing floors [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to refinish some stairs. I was planning on using polyurathane. I have been told that the water based version is better. Any thoughts? What are the pros and cons of both.

Refinishing kitchen cabinets [ 3 Answers ]

Yes I want to paint my kitcen cabinets a light color (they are a verydark brown now)they have probably 4 coats of paint on them now I tried to strip them and was unsuccessful if I prime them and repaint them they will look terrible what should I do? I was considering maybe sanding but would really...

View more questions Search