Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Charles123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2006, 07:05 PM
    Shower stall installation help
    I have recently begun pulling up my old and cracked slab in the basement and I am repouring the concrete a section at a time. I have started at the front of the house and I will work my way back in 8 foot increments until I have reached the back wall. Following this, I will install a platform for my washing machine(seeing as I don't have it hooked up yet), a sink for the runoff, and the dryer with a new vent installed. I previously had a large amount of foundation water damage. As these walls are now mostly fixed, I will not be cutting in my dryer vent into them. I will probably opt for opening a 4" hole in between the joists above the dryer and protrude outside in the siding with a new cover, right?
    However, my main question is this... Since I am tearing up my floor and I have a working toilet in the rear of the basement without walls (these walls and the drop ceiling went in the gutting out phase), I would like to consider my options of installing a simple shower stall. Also, I think it would be fine since at the front of my house in the sewer trap, I noticed that my main line is nearly two feet below my existing cracked slab. This should make tying in to the drain without the use of a sump pump I think, right? But, do I just dig near the toilet in the rear of the house until I find the main line.. And I only have 80 inches to my joists---will this be a problem for a trap or will it just be underground anyway? Thanks for all your help... --------Charlie
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 8, 2006, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles123
    I have recently begun pulling up my old and cracked slab in the basement and I am repouring the concrete a section at a time. I have started at the front of the house and I will work my way back in 8 foot increments until I have reached the back wall. Following this, I will install a platform for my washing machine(seeing as I dont have it hooked up yet), a sink for the runoff, and the dryer with a new vent installed. I previously had a large amount of foundation water damage. As these walls are now mostly fixed, I will not be cutting in my dryer vent into them. I will probably opt for opening a 4" hole in between the joists above the dryer and protrude outside in the siding with a new cover, right?
    However, my main question is this....Since I am tearing up my floor and I have a working toilet in the rear of the basement without walls (these walls and the drop ceiling went in the gutting out phase), I would like to consider my options of installing a simple shower stall. Also, I think it would be fine since at the front of my house in the sewer trap, I noticed that my main line is nearly two feet below my existing cracked slab. This should make tying in to the drain without the use of a sump pump I think, right? But, do I just dig near the toilet in the rear of the house until I find the main line...? And I only have 80 inches to my joists---will this be a problem for a trap or will it just be underground anyway? Thanks for all your help....--------Charlie

Hi Charlie,

You realize, of course, that every fixture that has a trap must be vented. I see no mention of a venting system for the fixtures you have planned. You can get by with only one vent if you wet vent the washer and shower back to the sink drain line. So that water doesn't enter the shower floor, (and yes the shower trap will be under the cement) I would tie the washer in well downstream from the point the shower ties in. Another way to insure that the washer won't pump water directly would be to connect the washer directly to the main and run a individual washer vent that can be revented back into the sinks vent so all you need is a single vent out the eoof or revented back in the attic to a existing roof vent.
    As for then shower stall, if the enclosure runs more then 80 inches high then you can install a shower base with a wrap around shower curtain
    If you wish to scan me a drawing showing the fixture placement and the location of the main I could lay the drainage out for you.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installation of a shower stall on a concrete slab [ 6 Answers ]

How is the drain of a shower stall connected to the ptrap that has been roughed in, in a concrete slab during new house construction to make a water tight connection? The ptrap is PVC.

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

Help with shower stall installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am going to change out my shower stall and my house is pretty old. I just need to know the basics on how to install the shower pan and is there anything that I should be made aware of before I tear out the old pan?

Shower stall installation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement which has the plumbing for a bathroom roughed-in. Since the drain pipe for the shower is in concrete it cannot be moved.. I am worried about framing around it. Is framing a shower any different then framing a door or window... just get rough opening? If the shower...

Tub/Shower Stall Installation [ 2 Answers ]

For new construction, should the plumbing for spigut, faucet handle, and shower head be installed before placing the tub/shower stall in place or after? Or doesn't it matter? Thanks

View more questions Search