Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 31pumpkin
    It's not discrimination. The employee can go to the supervisor or person in charge and request to switch with another employee, if they are so bent out of shape about their assignment. The way things go at a hospital, it looks like a low level priority to me. :eek:
    So, if a Dr walked into the E.R and there was a Hindu lying there bleeding to death, the Dr could request to switch with another Dr because he doesn't believe in Hinduism??

V_S, I see where this article is going but it is beased on the employee/employer relationship... not the Dr/patient relationship
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

May 19, 2006, 11:36 AM
    No Jizzle, it's not like that. They have colleagues that are Hindu. It would have to be medically related to even consider. I've not witnessed anything like that. That would be discrimination. I hold that Drs. Have amedical mind and are objective thinkers.

Now, if the Hindu patient has a head injury and won't follow orders to keep the "turban" off. Then nothing will change except that that pt. might have a difficult healing process.

From my experience, we don't carry our religious beliefs to work with us. We are there to exercise skill and competency. Something God already gave us the ability to do. Personal life is kept home.
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Maybe you could reiterate.. If that's not what you are talking about then I guess I don't understand this part of your post:

I think a better word for it is religious acceptance. There are some things as a Christian that I won't tolerate. And we are not supposed to. Even at my job, there's a provision that allows for me to be excused from taking care of a particular patient if their faith or religious beliefs conflict with mine.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

May 19, 2006, 12:14 PM
    Morganite -

Noting in your post that Jesus is a merciful redeemer and that He preached to those unsaved after death in "prison"
    So, my question after you read this scripture is - Is there a separate place do you think for "the hopeless" in a first death hell, in contrast to a place where those dead might still hear the gospel?

Luke: 19-31 -
    (Jesus speaking) "There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
    "The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. In hell (hades) where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him. Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.
    "But Abraham replied, Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.
    "He answered, Then I beg of you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so they will not also come to this place of torment.
    "Abraham replied, They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.
    "No, father Abraham, he said,'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'
    "He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead"

Jizzle I couldn't just comment so I'll trying to clear it up your" understanding."

The whole concept to me is called acceptance.
    It something that is subconscious anyway. I don't have some kinds of prejudice because someone is different. I think religious " tolerance" suggests some action has been done to offend someone.

Emotions can be cured. Someone blasted by a bomb can't.

So stop being so sensitive. Gosh, you'll live to talk about it!
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

May 19, 2006, 12:45 PM
    31Pumpkin, I think DrJizzle was commenting more on this quote:

Even at my job, there's a provision that allows for me to be excused from taking care of a particular patient if their faith or religious beliefs conflict with mine.
    I don't think it is quite clear what you mean here. Please clarify.
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2006, 01:02 PM
    Acceptance means that you would simply accept them for who they are and what they believe. There is no need for tolerance.

Tolerance is learning to live with it, even though you don't accept it.

Neither of these qualities have been actively demonstrated over the past couple days. But don't worry... I don't take things personally. I would just it rather stick to a discussion instead of attempted attacks.

As jduke44 said, I was referring to your quote
    I think a better word for it is religious acceptance. There are some things as a Christian that I won't tolerate. And we are not supposed to. Even at my job, there's a provision that allows for me to be excused from taking care of a particular patient if their faith or religious beliefs conflict with mine.
    Mainly the part that I bolded. You are saying that there are things that you will not tolerate, as a Christian... then you go on to say that even at your job, you do not have to tolerate caring for a patient that does not share your religious beliefs.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 19, 2006, 02:20 PM
    To all participants,

At the request of the original asker.
    As this thread has gone so far off course from the original question I'm closing it.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

General Contractor from Hell [ 2 Answers ]

I hired a general contractor to renovate my house. I give him a great amount of money and he has not done all the work. I found out he has ordered material but never paid for it or paid with a check that the account is closed. I asked him for my money back, he agreed and wrote me a personal check...

Hell! [ 67 Answers ]

DOES HELL EXIST? The Bible speaks more of Hell than of Heaven. Jesus said it and that settles it! What think ye? Bobbye

I have no idea what the hell I want to do [ 2 Answers ]

I am an overthinker, I cannot stop thinking about aspects of my life others lives, heck, the world in general, and this stopps me being able to just do a normal job, I simply cannot settle for a career in reatil or office work, but equally I have to many other talents and interest to choose one,...

Scared as Hell! [ 2 Answers ]

I have such a high respect for forensic science. I want to continue after high school to proceed in forensics. I am scared though that I am not smart enough and scared that it will be hard as hell. I just want some first base knowledge on college to major in that field is like?

What the hell do I keep doing wrong [ 2 Answers ]

I’m 17 and I have just left school probably the worst decision in my life because I get so depressed by it but it seem now I have a disposable income I can only go out at week end how every I can seem to always meet a girl then for a week have the best time ever then it all seems to go Pete Tong...

View more questions Search