Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffbro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Vss sensor 98 chevy cavalier
    Can you help me? I have a 98 chevy cavalier, while driving my rpm's jump and
    Down 500 rpm at a time. I was told it was a vss sensor. I went to a parts store and
    They said the vehicle takes two sensors. I put in one, the other looks like a magnetic pick up. I can't find out where it fits. The tech said the car has two vss sensors. The car still jumps 500 or so rpm's while driving. I'm stumped.
    Can you help me. Thanks, jeffbro
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbro
    Can you help me? I have a 98 chevy cavalier, while driving my rpm's jump and
    down 500 rpm at a time. I was told it was a vss sensor. I went to a parts store and
    they said the vehicle takes two sensors. I put in one, the other looks like a magnetic pick up. I can't find out where it fits. The tech said the car has two vss sensors. The car still jumps 500 or so rpm's while driving. I'm stumped.
    Can you help me. thanks, jeffbro
    I can't imagine there being a correlation between the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), which is for the speedometer display, and the engine RPM jumping. Unless there is some kind of feedback or wires crossed or some kind of electrical interference. Is your vehicle equipped with a tachometer? Or are you hearing the RPM change?
    And that vehicle's transmission has more that one sensor, but only one is the VSS.
    What the "tech" may have meant is that there are two possible sensors, depending on which automatic transmission you have: 3 speed or 4 speed. There is only one possible VSS for a manual transmission.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 12:17 PM
    When you say that your RPMs "jump while driving", are you saying that they are constantly fluctuating? I agree with Rich that your vehicle speed shouldn't affect the RPM reading; have you had a diagnostic scan done to see if there are any codes stored in the computer?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

97 chevy cavalier [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a 97 chevy cavalier. My ets off and abs lights have been on for a mnth now. My check engine light was on after I changed the spark plugs and filters it went off. Also for a while now when I slow down or stop my car dies. It starts back up but is unexpected. I had my alternator replaced...

No power to 99 Chevy Cavalier, what could it be? [ 1 Answers ]

I was driving my 99 Chevy Cavalier yesterday when the battery light came on while driving to work. When I was almost there, all of the lights on the dashboard came on- The battery, breaks, ABS, check engine, check oil lights... and my winshield wipers, turning signals, radio all lost power. The...

Chevy cavalier engine [ 2 Answers ]

My wife's cavalier has a Dead third cylinder and her mechanic says a new engine is in order. Cou.ld it be anything else? Thanks, Bill.

92 chevy cavalier [ 1 Answers ]

I just had to put a fuel pump on my cavalier and now it will run but if you drive it a little ways or give it a little gas it losses all power and starts spitting and sputtering. Please can someone help me.

View more questions Search