Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smarett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2006, 02:03 PM
    Odor in crawlspace from leak
    We had a clog in the plumbing from our kitchen/laundry area. Evidently it had been overflowing into the crawlspace for some time - stinky! We have cleared the blockage, but there is a lot of 'overflow' in the crawlspace still and we are wondering the best way to treat the area to take care of the odor. My husband suggested getting in there and shovelling it out (double yuk!) I am wondering if an enzymatic cleaner poured on the area will 'eat' the organic smelly stuff, or if we should put lots of lime down to get rid of the stench.

We installed an extraction fan in the crawlspace which helped in the house, but the backyard and deck are suffering as a result.

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 6, 2006, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smarett
    We had a clog in the plumbing from our kitchen/laundry area. Evidently it had been overflowing into the crawlspace for some time - stinky! We have cleared the blockage, but there is a lot of 'overflow' in the crawlspace still and we are wondering the best way to treat the area to take care of the odor. My husband suggested getting in there and shovelling it out (double yuk!) I am wondering if an enzymatic cleaner poured on the area will 'eat' the organic smelly stuff, or if we should put lots of lime down to get rid of the stench.

We installed an extraction fan in the crawlspace which helped in the house, but the backyard and deck are suffering as a result.

Thanks!
    Spreading lime with a dirt cover might help and you may also pour a gallon of bleach down there to help if it still smells. One of the other experts might have a suggestion also. Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage odor [ 1 Answers ]

In the last few weeks, there's a sewage odor from the crawl space beneath our house that has got progressively worse. I tried to crawl under but due to health problems I couldn't get to the back of the house. Now I live in Los angeles, so I know it's not a septic tank issue. I'm afraid to call a...

Bad Odor.. please help [ 6 Answers ]

I have a very horrible odor from my vagina, I know I am and ot alone in this because. I have tried looking for solutions online and have found many women with the same problem. I wash everyday with anti bacterial soap and I use cotton underwear. At the end of they day there's white/brown stuff on...

Septic Odor [ 1 Answers ]

For the past 3 months or so every time we flush the toilet it smells like sewage. It has only gotten worse and worse. It only seems to happen when we flush the toilet and will eventually go away... until we flush again. It stinks up the entire house now. We have tried to put stuff down the...

View more questions Search