Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    petkeepr7789 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

May 5, 2006, 01:50 PM
    Kitten Question
    What is the earliest you can give a kitten away to their new family?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 5, 2006, 02:30 PM
    I believe that it is normally at around 6 weeks old.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

May 5, 2006, 03:28 PM
    Kittens need 10-12 weeks to be properly weened and socialized by their mothers.

People give away kittens starting at 6 weeks because that's when the first booster shots the vet needs to administrate start.

The link below goes to a good article explaining the development of a kitten:
    FBRL: Resources: How young is too young?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2006, 04:33 AM
    HI,
    Neighbors and friends who have cats have told me that 8 to 10 weeks. Old is a good age to break away from mommy. One neighbor (and friend) has 6 cats roaming inside and outside her home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New kitten [ 4 Answers ]

I adopted a kitten from a shelter 6 days ago. She is in my bedroom and I have put food out for her and a kitty litter pan. She uses the pan and eats all her food but I never see her. I think she is hiding under my bed, but I can't find her. I go in the room and read to her and talk to her, but I...

I want another kitten! [ 9 Answers ]

Ok I already have one kitten.. she will be a yr old on July 15! Her name is Tinx.. She is my baby.. she is so spoiled! But I want to get another kitten so Tinx has someone to play with while we are away at work! The only problem she doesn't seem to get along very well with other cats.. I guess...

Question regarding a kitten [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a 1yr old kitten who has been throwing up a lot lately.(sp?? ) We have not yet switched from kitten to cat food And have not swithched brands We give him cat treats but not that often. We try 2 make sure there is no strings or anything that he could choke on. Not to be gross but...

Runt, sick (wild) kitten question [ 1 Answers ]

I have brought home a wild kitten about 5 weeks of age that has an eye infection and an abscess. The kitten is on antibotics starting today, but was only removed from the mother as of last night (it is eating gruel well at 3 hour intervals) but has not pooped. I have foster kittens, mainly for...

Mother cat/newborn kitten question [ 2 Answers ]

Our cat gave birth to 5 kittens 11 days ago. All of them look very healthy and active. We have them in a very large rubber container 4 feet long/2 feet wide/2 feet tall that the mother can easily jump out of when she needs a break. We also have bedding on the bottom. We have fed the mother 2-3...

View more questions Search