Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arunothai4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 09:05 PM
    I want to get a divorce before 2 years
    I just got a conditional green card in August 19, 2008. We have been marriaged for 1 year. Now my husband want to get a divorce because he was hiding me something for the past which was he had been marriaged and have 3 children. He said it is not right for me about his hiding issue. He want to let me go even though he still love me. I was so mad when he told me. He keep it secret and wait for year. He said he plan to tell me when I got a green card. I was so shock and mad with hime. Until my friend mention about a green card. What should I do if I divorce him before this 2 years of conditional green card period? Does the INS will remove my green card and deport me.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 09:26 PM
    So he wants to get divorce just because you get mad at him about the children issue?

What exactly do you want to do? If you want to remain in US, you have to pass this stage and become a permanent resident, then divorce would not effect your status. If you get divorce now, your legal status will be terminated, though deportation may not be immediate but you won't be able to renew your driver's license or EAD. If he is not an abuser, it's unlikely that you would be qualified for a self petition.

Lawanwadee

Sep 5, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Thank you for answering me. There are many issues related. His kids don't like me. He said it is a better off for him to get a divorce for some reason. About supporting myself, I think I can support myself. I own a restaurant. Do you think this can help me something. We really need to get divorce. Do you have any ideas, how I can do it by keeping my conditional green card. We have all the documents that we marriage for good. (Joint Bank account, lease an apartment, travel trip, car insurance, car loan)
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 5, 2008, 09:47 AM
    If you are a sole owner of a restaurant and the business value is over $1M, OR you are a joint owner and your share in this business is over $500,000, you may switch to investor visa. If this does not apply to you, the only chance is discuss this issue with your spouse and see if he would be willing to help. Before filing for a divorce you need to establish evidence that you have tried your best to maintain the marriage such as having marriage counseling, etc.

Sep 6, 2008, 04:05 AM
    I think the restaurant can't suppose me as a investment visa. The value is less than $500,000. I don't know what will happen if we divorce now. I discuss with my husband about my issue(green card). He doesn't understand much about immigation law. However, he mention that we can post pone our divorce until the end of the year. Do you think if this going to change. We have been marrige for only 1.5 years before we received a green card? If we have to go to court, can I mention about his ex-wife and 3 children.

Sep 6, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Thank you for answering me. There are many issues related. His kids don't like me. He said it is a better off for him to get a divorce for some reason. About supporting myself, I think I can support myself. I own a restaurant. Do you think this can help me something. We really need to get divorce. Do you have any ideas, how I can do it by keeping my conditional green card. We have all the documents that we marriage for good. (Joint Bank account, lease an apartment, travel trip, car insurance, car loan)
    sanfrancisca Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2011, 01:34 PM
    I see this is an older case. I was just wondering how it all ended up. I am in the same situation right now. I am considering filling for removal of conditions myself. My husband is very supportive of me, but are not meant for each other and no longer live together. I want to be honest to INS that our relationship terminated, although our marriage is still going. Thanks much.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Jan 17, 2011, 04:26 PM

New post

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Almost 3 years and no Divorce [ 2 Answers ]

Well, I am 29 years old and want a divorce from my loser husband who lied, cheated and abused me while we were together. I filled for divorce and the lawyer I used at the end said the county he was in no longer allowed for the divorce to go threw without the other's signature. I have spent allot on...

Why my divorce still hurts 10 years later? [ 4 Answers ]

Been divorced for nearly 8 years and the other week I saw in the paper of the town I once lived in that my ex-wife had re-married and the pain shot through me. I am falling apart emotionally over this and starting to hurt my current marriage by pulling away from my wife. I once was a drug addict...

Divorce after 2 years of marriage [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, I have been married for almost two years now. My husbands school girlfriend (call her LS) got pregnant with his baby about 3 months before we met. After we met, we just knew that we had a very strong attraction to each other. He however stayed with his girlfriend because of the child....

Separated 5 years want divorce [ 2 Answers ]

My wife moved out and went back to Okinawa in 2002, while I was in stationed in Northern Japan. Currently I have requested a divorce but she has continually put it off even though we have not seen each other in over 5 years. This is causing undue stress upon me and I have had enough. I have...

View more questions Search