Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abenain Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Student loan statue of limitations
    Is there a statue of limitation on student loans?
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Sep 4, 2008, 06:45 PM
    I may be wrong but I do not think you can include student loans in chapter 7 bankruptcy
    If I am wrong someone correct me because I was always told student loans could not be included in Bankruptcy.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandeasy
    I may be wrong but I do not think you can include student loans in chapter 7 bankruptcy
    If I am wrong someone correct me because I was always told student loans could not be included in Bankruptcy.
    That's always been my understanding as well.
    Trustee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Depends where you are located, and which laws have effect. There may not be a direct SOL for student loans in some places. Nevertheless, it is possible that the various bits of legislation interact and provide that there is an effective SOL, or that one can be discharged from owing the student loan.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2008, 03:50 PM
    In the US students loans cannot be included in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy and be discharged. I have never seen a student loan included in a Chapter 7 filing and the attorney I worked for would patiently explain to his clients that the student loans could not be discharged.
    fightincreditor Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 8, 2008, 01:51 PM
    I am not sure, but think it may depend on whether the student loan was government or private. You might check with laws in your state.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 02:21 PM
    If this is a government student loan there will not be a SOL and they will not be included in your bankrutpcy ( with a very few hardship exceptions) although I have never seen an exception allowed,
    fightincreditor Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 8, 2008, 02:56 PM
    You are right Fr_Chuck if it is government, there is no SOL and these are very rarely released in bankruptcy. However, I believe that if private loans, this does not apply. But again not sure need to check with state laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student loan statute of limitations [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering what the statute of limitations is for student loans in alberta? Can a creditor collect after that period? I also heard that after a certain time Period debts are wiped off your credit report. Is this true and if so how long till Your credit is cleared?

Statute of limitations for Canadian Student Loan [ 4 Answers ]

What os the statute of limitations for a canadian student loan which is both provincial and federal? If it is a certain time frame how does it affect my credit history afterwards? Thanks

Statute of Limitations on Student Loan Judgments [ 3 Answers ]

I had a judgment on a student loan. The judment was over ten years old. I thought the statute of limitations had run and therefore the judgment and the higher interest on the judgment were no longer valid. I have now been told judgments on student loans never expire. They do on other types...

Statue of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

If u are on probation for the state of Missouri , you have a federal inditement for caspericy to distribute marijuanna and you leave the united states, how many years will u be wanted for these crimes by the state or the federal government. How long will u have to stay out of the united states...

Student loan statute of limitations - NY [ 2 Answers ]

I had a student loan that I have not made a payment on for over 12 years. It did not show up on my credit reports last year when I purchased my house. Now this year, my paychecks have been garnished with no notice (that I received). Is there a statute of limitations? I was under the impression...

View more questions Search