Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RDO Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 10:42 PM
    Will small town bench warrant for expired insurance stop new job
    I'm applying for a new job, but my past experience with a small town in Texas is bothering me.

I was driving my daughters car in a town called Stafford, just South of Houston, Texas, where I live on the North side of Houston.

I was stopped (falsely) according to the officer for crawling through a stop sign. I mentioned that I stopped, then started to proceed, but the on coming truck who also stopped, started to turn in front of me, so I slowed to a crawl and let him pass, before proceeding. He went back to his car and I assume viewed a video, and decided to drop the charge.

But the insurance form in the glove box had expired 2 weeks earlier. So he ticketed me for expired insurance. I told him I knew the insurance was up to date because I pay it for my daughter. Of course he says "tell it to the judge".

So, I called the clerks office and asked if I could send them proof of insurance through snail mail, email. Fax or any other form. NO, NO, NO, NO... you need to come in and show it to the court clerk. But I'm so far away!

But, I could pay it online. Ok, how much do I need to pay? We don't know, you need to come in and ask the court clerk.

I went online to see how to pay it. But, it's a third-party company and they can't tell you how much to pay either. You have to fill in all the blanks.

I called and asked, can I reschedule the court date over the phone. NO, you will need to come in and ask the court clerk. Damn!

Ok, I assumed that like other cities, I will get a letter in the mail stating the court, time, place, parking info, map, and all other info in english and spanish. NOPE!

Needless to say, the court date came and went.

The only piece of mail I have EVER received from them was a single page that stated, I missed the court date and should send $239.00 online to the 3rd party vendor, within 5 days. Else, I will be fined $50 for each offense. Why couldn't they mail this before the court date and be proactive with their 41 cent stamp.

But then I started getting phone messages, stating that I now owe an even $600.00 and that a bench warrant was issued. Odd how that came out to a smooth $600 even.

I never received any mail from them about this bench warrant or any other charges.
    Only a few collection calls from the department wanting to know when I will pay.

Then months later a letter from the State of Texas (They know how to use mail services) that stated, I could not renew my drivers license in 2012, unless I pay $600.00, but to them or Stafford, Texas?

This is some form of extortion! There is no reason this small town can't get with the times and handle business online in an efficient manner.

Ok! Will this bench warrant stop me from getting a job?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Not only that, if stopped in the future you will be detained and they will decide if they are going to take you down to that small town in Texas to face the charges. It can cause you a night or two in jail even in the future,
    Lets say you are driving to church with your family and speed, and get stopped, guess what you are going to miss church that morning.

So if they run a background check on you they will see a warrant for your arrest, not a prime person to hire for a job.

You had a dozen chances to clear this up, to pay a fine, to pay another larger amount but you did nothing so sorry yep you are now paying the price for not showing up in court. The date and time to go to court was most likely on the ticket, when Iwas a police officer that was where it was put, and you got no other notice.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Hello RDO:

Boy, I'd show that small town a thing or two. I'd NEVER pay it. That'll fix 'em.

excon
    RDO Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 09:17 AM
    I should start a campaign to get their town ship dissolved. That happened in Crystal Beach, Texas where I had a beach house.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RDO
    This is some form of extortion! There is no reason this small town can't get with the times and handle business online in an efficient manner.
    Hello again, RDO:

You absolutely should! They have no right treating a citizen that way. Clearly, you WANTED to pay. They just wouldn't accommodate you. That's unfair! Don't those bureaucrats know who they work for?

Yes, it could be extortion. I would contact your local police.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 02:32 PM
    You need to pay this regardless of WHAT you have to physically do to find out what the proper amount is owed, even if it means you have to go to the Clerk's Office in person as this will never go away and can/will cause you some serious problems in the near distant future. If you didn't pay it the first time around, they will just keep adding more and more to your fine making it more worthwhile for them in the end financially to benefit. That's why you need to clear this up before it goes UP, UP, UP like a balloon and somehow gets to be $1,200 soon. I'll bet a dozen donuts it's the local money maker in that town.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Aw Chuck you looked in the box and discovered my cream filled donuts. Want some?

Ex - You surely cannot be serious about not paying the ticket. That's downright bad advice to someone.

The fact you live in North Houston and Stafford is in South Houston. Gee, how far is that? It can't be 1,000 miles, now can it? What sort of an excuse is "it's too far". Lame, that's what for excuse. You were there once before, what's so horrible about going back a second time? Clerk of Courts are not easily amused by phone calls. They are much more receptive to people showing up in person with cold hard cash in their hot little hands paying off the fine and getting a receipt. But then, that's the old fashioned way that almost all Clerk of Courts operate so you'd better get used to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you fly with a bench warrant? [ 24 Answers ]

Ok, So I have a bench warrant because the letter I got for a court date was misprinted and differed from what the actual court date was, no big deal, but I need to fly this Sunday and will not be able to clear it before than. The original charge was a misdemeanor, and I am not flying from the same...

A bench warrant that should have expired by opr. Of law. [ 5 Answers ]

I got stopped 12 years ago, for not having proof of insurance, before receiving any notices, I was moving and did move out of state, I never went back to the state of GA. Now 12 years later (GA) they say I have a bench warrant. For what? And shouldn't that have expired by now. Not a crime just a...

Bench Warrant [ 7 Answers ]

If I have a bench warrant issued, for a traffice violation, can the police(law) arrest me at my house/job/while I'm walking with my baby? Thanks,

Bench Warrant! [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend got a DUI. He did not show to the mandated program he was to attend and failed to appear at the last court date. If he were to show up at the court house, would he be arrested on site??

View more questions Search