Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samone1111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 12:45 PM
    They've lived apart for seven years
    My boyfriend and his wife have lived apart for over seven years. They do NOT live as husband and wife. Do they still have be legally divorced or is there a statute to this to where he can be classified as divorced?
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 01:37 PM
    I know after a certain amount of time had passed you would be automatically classed as divorced but I think you still have to go through the actual legal proceedings to variefy it... rubber stamp it so to speak.

Things may have changed over the years and I am in the UK, so hopefully someone else will give you an answer for the USA, legal proceedings.

Sorry I could not be of more help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 02:35 PM
    You are legally married in the US till you have a judge declare the marriage ended ( divorced)

So they need to hire an attorney or buy a do it yourself divorce and both sign and file it.

Plus in fact unless they have a formal separation agreement, they are not even legally separated.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Where are you located? If you are in the U.S. fr. Chuck is absolutely on the ball.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan
    I know after a certain amount of time had passed you would be automatically classed as divorced but i think you still have to go through the actual legal proceedings to variefy it....rubber stamp it so to speak.

Things may have changed over the years and i am in the UK, so hopefully someone else will give you an answer for the USA, legal proceedings.

Sorry i could not be of more help.

A legal marriage can only be dissolved legally - I have never heard of an automatic divorce.

Where did you hear of this - you say it may have changed (from automatic divorce to having to go to Court)?

The boyfriend has to go to Court to resolve all legal issues of property, custody, support, joint debts, joint assets, all of it. No easy way to do it, nothing automatic.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Hello Judy... yes I know you would still have to go to court where ever you are, as it is a legal binding agreement, which I do state as well.

Perhaps I didn't quite phrase that properly... what I actually meant was, if you have been apart for a certain length of time, you would be granted a divorce but would still have a court appearance to settle any money etc, issues.

If you divorce your husband/wife without an adaquite reason you would be given an appropriate length of time before you divorce and again you would have to go to court to finalise everything.

I hope this makes more sense Judy... having stated the above, it could have all changed now.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan
    Hello Judy... yes i know you would still have to go to court where ever you are, as it is a legal binding agreement, which i do state as well.

Perhaps i didn't quite phrase that properly...what i actually meant was, if you have been apart for a certain length of time, you would be granted a divorce but would still have a court appearance to settle any money etc,, issues.

If you divorce your husband/wife without an adaquite reason you would be given an appropriate length of time before you divorce and again you would have to go to court to finalise everything.

I hope this makes more sense Judy...having stated the above, it could have all changed now.

OK, now I understand the separation/divorce part but in most if not all US States that must be a FORMAL separation. You can't just live apart. You have to prove it - and, again, many States accept only a legal, formal separation as that proof.

I think you mean if you attempt to divorce your husband/wife without an adequate reason you would be given an appropriate length of time... obviously you can't divorce without an adequate reason, adequate grounds.

So, yes, I think we're on the same page and, yes, it makes sense, and, yes, I think it's changed.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    OK, now I understand the separation/divorce part but in most if not all US States that must be a FORMAL separation. You can't just live apart. You have to prove it - and, again, many States accept only a legal, formal separation as that proof.

I think you mean if you attempt to divorce your husband/wife without an adequate reason you would be given an appropriate length of time ... obviously you can't divorce without an adequate reason, adequate grounds.

So, yes, I think we're on the same page and, yes, it makes sense, and, yes, I think it's changed.

Many states have a no fault claus in the divorce courts and what it really means is there is no reason whatsoever that is actually needed to get a divorce other then that you want one. Calif is one of those states where it doesn't matter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 4, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Ok yes there has to be papers signed that state each agree with the separation of property. Since unless there is a legal separation in many states, the husband or wife may have a right to current property of the other if that property was purchases while married.

Now if they totally agree on everything most liekly they merely file paper work and don't appear at all, or merely appear once.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lived in NJ, Worked in NY [ 1 Answers ]

During summers last year(May - July 2007), I was in the US for an internship on an H-3 visa. I worked in NYC but stayed in NJ. I have received my W-2 forms. I want to know what all tax forms do I need to fill in order to file my federal and state tax returns. Am I eligible for 1040NR-EZ? Also do I...

Little man who lived in the sand [ 2 Answers ]

hi me and my sister used to watch this show sometime in the 90's and we cannot remember what it was called! It had 3 children who had a little sort of "oracle" who lived in the gravel (and looked a little bit like yoda from star wars! ) and would come out and speak to them... the children would...

Lived and worked in NY, lived in NJ worked in NY in 2007 [ 6 Answers ]

I know I should probably get an accountant for my takes this year, but I figured I would ask. For the first part of the year I lived and worked in NYC until August when I had an apartment in both NYC and NJ :( . Then for the rest of the year I lived in NJ and worked in NYC. I also started paying on...

Have not lived with husband in 4 years [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have not lived with my husband in four years. Since he's had a son by another woman and living His life. I want to get an annulment or divorce but Don't have his address. How can I get out of this sticky Situation

Lived in NJ, worked in NY [ 5 Answers ]

Hi again ATE, I worked in a company in NY for 3 months on OPT (then moved to CA). But like many other people I was living in an apartment in NJ for 2 months (1 month in friends home). All my income was from my company in NY. Should I file for only NY state or for NJ state as well? ...

View more questions Search