Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Billybob975 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Removing start-up programs
    My computer is very slow starting up. How do you know what start up programs,not to start up. I believe I know how to stop them at start-up. But I don't know all of the meaning,the way they are written in the system con. Utility. Is it safe to remove all of them,then go back and activate the ones you need? Any help would be appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 2, 2008, 10:44 AM
    You can check to see what folder they are, research them online etc. to determine their necessity. If you uncheck them and you find they are needed, you can always recheck them.
    =OTS=G-Man Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Sep 2, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Anything that's in the start up tab when you run msconfig are safe to remove (wont break your computer) but can cause unforeseen consequences,

A few that you want to leave running are
    Antivirus
    Antispyware
    Windows defender
    Wireless connection tool
    Printer monitors (if it says update, then you don't need to keep it, HP is real bad for adding 4-6 startups for printers including driver updaters

Some that you can for sure get rid of
    Adobe pdf speed launch
    Office speed launch
    Quicktime
    AOL (unless your really do use it within 5 minutes of turning on your system)
    Java updater

Hope that helps a little. Also when in doubt, Google the name, there is a few sites that list what each process does.
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Sep 2, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Try this for unnecessary services starting up:
    Turn Off Unnecessary Windows XP Services | JasonN.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start Menu "All Programs" won't show the menu [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! This is my first post My Start Menu "All Programs" won't show the menu. Any kind soul please help

Start - All Programs - Too Many - Can't See [ 10 Answers ]

When I click on Start and then All Programs I have 4 columns of programs. The 4th column only displays about 4 characters, the rest of the name is off the screen. How do I get these so that I can see them all? I suspect that there is probably a fifth column that I can't see at all. I have a LOT of...

Start up programs [ 1 Answers ]

How do you disable programs from running at start up on Windows XP Home. Everything I've found so far relates to enabling them. Thanks, Jim

Removing the W98 start up theme noise  when turning win98 comp on. [ 2 Answers ]

How do Remove the W98 start up theme noise when turning win98 comp on

View more questions Search