Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jperini12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Spider webs causing check engine light
    My 2007 Hyundia Sonata has only 22,000 miles. I brought the car into the dealer for a "engine light" problem with a PO449 code. I was charged a $100 to clean out a spider web that caused a "vent control solenoid" to malfunction. Even though I have 36K bumper to bumper coverage the repair was not covered due to the "act of God" claim.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

The mechanics I work with believe this is a common practice by dealerships to double bill by submitting a claim for the defective solenoid to the car company and billing the customer for "act of God" claim. Many of these I spoke to mechanics had previous worked for dealerships.

What should I do? Contact the zone rep? Or the Gov't?
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2008, 09:25 AM
    I see this all the time. The last one 2 weeks ago, was completely packed with mud from a spiders nest. The cust couldn't fill the tank. It kept clicking off.
    As far as double dipping, I've never heard of this around here. We just warranty a new canister if still covered. Otherwise, give the option to replace, in case the code returns.
    Sometimes, the car company wants these warrany parts back. If they see the failure was "an act of god", they may reject the claim. Then the dealership doesn't get paid.
    So, I guess I could see the double dip there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check Engine Light and Oil Light Comes On On My Honda Accord 1995 [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Honda Accord and both my check engine light and oil light are coming on. The car started over heating so I checked the radiator coolant and that was fine. I also checked the oil and that was full. A few days later the oil light started coming on and now the check engine light is on. ...

Where do you find the plug in to check the check engine light [ 16 Answers ]

I am trying to find the plug in where you plug in the computer to check the check engine light it a 1992 civic can anyone tell me where it located at and if you have picture that would be great thanks if you could tell me the color of the plug in and how many pin in it that would help me in finding...

Check engine light on [ 3 Answers ]

I brought my toyota solara 2002 to the dealer for diagnosis "check engine light on". The dealer suggested to change the canister that worth $ 300 bucks! I did try to change the canister cap but in a few days the warning light popped again. Any other suggestion? Thanks.

Spider webs/varicose veins [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I know someone who have spider webs and varicose veins. Is there a non surgical way of removing it? Thanks!

View more questions Search