Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judysfriend Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 07:11 PM
    I've been served after a cease & desist letter
    Today I was served over an old credit card debt ( over 4 years ago). I had mailed a cease and desist letter in June to a law firm that billed me. Now they have served me. What do I do next?The original debtor has written off the debt.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Hello friend:

Well, you go to court if you have a defense, or you make a settlement offer if you have cash. If you have neither of those, they're going to get a default judgment against you and seize your bank accounts and garnish your wages.

Writing off the debt is a tax term. It doesn't mean anything to do with you.

excon
    shayne54 Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Sep 3, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Is there a court date set? If not this could be a scare tactic from the collection agency.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Ok this is what is suppose to happen, you sent them a letter that basically told them not to contact you further about this debt, until they were ready to actually sue you ( they have to contact you about sueing you.

So no you go to court and prove you don't owe the debt.

It being charged off has nothing to do with it what so ever that is merely an accounting term.
    fightincreditor Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 8, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Check out the statute of limitations for your state. If the last payment you made was longer than your SOL, that would be a defense. Also, you could go to court and possibly ask for validation of the debt. This would not necessarily eliminate the chance of you losing the case in court, but would delay so you can either get some money together to make a settlement offer or find out that they are trying to charge you more than you may owe.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Go you the hearing, Quote, " I cannot admit of deny the alleged complaint since no validication of the alleged debt and been provide, not has the original contract which bear my signature been provide, I hereby move the court to dismiss the action with prejudice."
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2008, 01:36 PM
    I just dealt with junk debt collectors and for future references for yourself, send a request for validation (not just verification) letter first.
    The above posts are correct. All your letter did was ask them to stop bothering you until they were ready to sue.
    Go to the hearing and quote everything that Mr. yet said.
    If you do not show up they will win the case by default, so make sure you go.
    It would be even more helpful if you could provide proof that the statue of limitations has expired while at the hearing.
    Good luck.

Edit to add, if this is a letter from a law firm and not a summons to appear in court, then now is the time to send in a validation letter to the law firm
    Before the 30 days required to respond.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dear NeoCons, Cease and Desist. [ 24 Answers ]

We are working hard here in Idaho to reclaim our sovereignty also. Do the Neocons on AMHD think this is a bad idea? I am sure you do so, I would like to hear why. By the way Oklahoma, I am proud of you and my hat is off as I bow down before you. Oklahoma State House of Representatives - House...

Should I write a cease and desist letter [ 3 Answers ]

I had a collection agency call me Monday on an acct. It was a debt back in 1998. I made a couple of small payments last year because the representative lied to me and said it was a household bank credit card. That is the card I wanted to make payments on. Well, come find out, that was the wrong...

Commitment letter given & contract of buy is signed, can denial letter make/break? [ 4 Answers ]

My parents "were" in the process of selling their home. The buyers had gotten approved for the loan and signed the contract to close on the house. They put down 1/2 of their down payment as one of two. The second payment would be transferred at closing. The shady buyers decided they...

What does sending a cease and desist actually do? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been told conflicting stories about cease and desist orders. 1. I was told that a) sending one stops the creditors from harassing. b) requires the debt to be sent back to the original creditor c) stops collection activities. 2. that it usually makes the creditor upset enough to sue...

Cease and disist [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of a cease and disist letter? I need help writing one. Thank you.

View more questions Search