Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yakein Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 10:53 PM
    Active desktop recovery
    Hi I have a problem with my laptop... while using my computer a message suddenly appeared on my screen called active desktop recovery. It gives me different options do get to the solution but none of these helps my problem. When I do it as it say I get a message called do you want to continue the running script? It says me every time.. then I tried to search in Google and I found the same problem asked in your blog and the solution was regedit.. I tried doing this also but nothing happened. The message appeared and told me that my administrator did not allowed it.. tell me what to do..
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 11:30 PM
    Try this first:

Right click on desktop and click properties and go to Desktop Tab and change your desktop backround to one you know you used before or another one that is listed and click apply and restart to see fi this gets rid of it.

If that does not help, try a system restore point to go back to a date and time this was not happening.

Use System Restore
    After you've decided to use System Restore to revert your system to a previous state, start the System Restore Wizard and follow the prompts. To use the System Restore Wizard, make sure you're logged on as an administrator, and then follow these steps:

1.Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2.On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

3.On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to, as shown in Figure 2, and then click Next.

4.On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the correct restore point is chosen, and then close any open programs.

5.Click Next if you are ready to proceed or click Back to change the restore point.

6.The computer will shut down automatically and reboot. On reboot, you'll see the Restoration Complete page, and then click OK.

Post Back

Sep 19, 2008, 12:42 AM
    I want to thank you for your reply but I have still one problem.. what happens is I couldnot change my screen. I mean my desktop background. Even I tried to put my picture and save it as a desktop back ground but couldnot... so can you help me again.. I would appreciate that for your help...
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Both solutions on this page should resolve issue - I would click on the file in solution 1 and then click Run, when finished it will ask you to enter information into the registry, say OK

When done, you should be able to change your backround
    Cannot change desktop wallpaper

Sep 20, 2008, 12:59 AM
    Thank you for your help.. but it did not help me this time.. when I tried to use the first or the second method... it showed a message showing " registry has been denied by the administrator". I could not find anything that can allow it. So can you help me ?
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Click on link below and choose Open and say OK to enter info into registry - this should enable your registry so you can try above info
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...ytoolsundo.reg

Sep 20, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Thank you once again, but still it did not work. When I tried to use the regedit, a message appeared in the dialogue box saying " registry editing has been disabled by your administrator." and the link you provided me did not help. This link open a page just as like as a notepad or any kind of file which did not ask anything to say " OK ". So I am still confused. Hope you reply soon.
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2008, 10:08 AM
    I apologize, when I wrote:
    click on link below and choose Open and say OK to enter info into registry
    It should have read:
    Click on link and choose "Run" and say OK to enter info into registry

My mistake on that, should be "Run" and not "Open"

Sep 20, 2008, 11:54 AM
    I am still confused because as I click on the link a page opens. It doesnot ask me to run or to do anything. The page is as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System]
    "DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System]
    "**.del.DisableRegistryTools"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System]
    "DisableRegistryTools"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\System]
    "**del.DisableRegistryTools"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

I can only see this page. I dono tunderstand how to run it . So can you help me again.
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Right click on this link:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...ytoolsundo.reg
    Now choose Run

If hat does not work for you, go tot this link and go down to line 213 and click on "Enable Registry Editing Tools" and choose save and save this file to your computer, once downloaded, click on it and it will ask you to ro enter to the registry

Hopefulllit will work this way
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2008, 12:29 PM

If this does not work, will find another way to get enabled

Sep 20, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Hi, I did as you said, but nothing happened. Firstly I did right click on the link . I could not see "run". Therefore I could do that. So I cicked on the link. When I did that only a page appeared where I can only read . I can do nothing on this page. So I saved it as a file in my computer. It did saved. Then I tried to open it . When I opened this file, it asked me to run.. so when I hit the " run" button a mseeage again appeared saying that registry editing has been disabled by your adminisration. I don't know what's happening.
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Restore Task Manager, Regedit and Folder Options Disabled by Virus

Restore Task Manager, Regedit and Folder Options Disabled by Virus » Raymond.CC Blog

Remove Restrictions Tool is able to re-enable:
    - Registry Tools (regedit)
    - Ctrl+Alt+Del
    - Folder Options
    - Show Hidden Files

Small and easy to use. Make sure you boot in to Safe Mode to use Remove Restrictions Tool (RRT). Just click on the buttons and it'll do it's job.

Go down to where it says:

Download Remove Restrictions Tool (RRT)

And download tool

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Error in script (active desktop) [ 1 Answers ]

Error Message An error has occurred in the script on this page Line: 65 Char: 1 Error: Object doesn’t support this action Code: 0

Pro active. [ 1 Answers ]

So I've been using it the past 2 days and it seriously seems like its starting to make a difference, but my question is does anyone know how long until the acne comes back after you stop using it? I've had bad skin since fifth grade and tried everything (even the pills, which worked really well...

She is 12, he is 15(?) and are active... [ 1 Answers ]

While throwing away my "junk mail" yesterday I stood in front of the dumpster and heard some noise behind it. I went about my business as if not noticed. They realized they were caught and began to cloth them self's. I called my mgr. of the apts. And said what I believe to be the actions of the...

Active x [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is having trouble getting into certain sites--even becoming a member of Yahoo. I couldn't log into Yahoo on his computer with my ID and password. What is the problem with his computer? Does the following message that popped up on his computer have anything to do with the problem? He...

View more questions Search