Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spearheadgrh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Home buyer
    Does the buyer have to have funds immediately available upon signature at closing and what if they do not. Thank You
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spearheadgrh
    does the buyer have to have funds immediately avalable upon signature at closing and what if they do not. Thank You
    Usually yes. Usually the mortgage arrangement is already in place, you are at your lawyers and he is going over the outlay in a statement of disbursements, including title searches, deed fees, etc. and giving you the bottom line including his fees, etc. and then you give him a cheque for the amount you owe ON CLOSING. Then you get the keys to your new house and not before.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 03:54 PM
    I do not know of anyone that will close without getting their money, unless they are going to hold a mortgage ( lien) on the home.

For example if I was selling you the home I would want you to pay me a certain amount down ( cash) and I would carry the balance but your down payment had to be there at closing.

Normally if you did not get a loan for the amount and don't have the money, you just don't close, and if you can't close within a good time limit, the deal will fall though
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2008, 04:25 PM
    At the closing the buyer generally sits there signing checks. There are checks for fees, checks for the lawyer and title company. Checks for taxes and escrow and finally, the payment to the seller.

There has to be money to cover those checks. Either from the proceeds of the mortgage or money certified in a bank account. Of course you could walk in with a briefcase full of cash, But then there will be questions about money laundering.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Just a minor note: the closings I have done have demanded money orders/certified checks. They weren't going to trust that I had the funds to back a check I wrote at the closing! Which may mean talking to your bank a few days before the closing, since many of them request advance notice if you want a certified check over a certain amount, so that they can verify that you actually have the funds to cover it.

And, if the mortgage hasn't funded, they will just delay the closing until it does.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2008, 08:50 PM
    I will add a silly side note, I tried to do a closing one time with actually cash, they would not accept it.

Aug 29, 2008, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    Just a minor note: the closings I have done have demanded money orders/certified checks. They weren't going to trust that I had the funds to back a check I wrote at the closing! Which may mean talking to your bank a few days before the closing, since many of them request advance notice if you want a certified check over a certain amount, so that they can verify that you actually have the funds to cover it.

And, if the mortgage hasn't funded, they will just delay the closing until it does.
    Generally, at a closing where a mortgage is used to pay the seller, a bank representative is there and the checks being made out are not personal checks but checks drawn on the bank. Funds in addition to the amount of the mortgage will need to be either predeposited or certified.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Generally, at a closing where a mortgage is used to pay the seller, a bank representative is there and the checks being made out are not personal checks but checks drawn on the bank. Funds in addition to the amount of the mortgage will need to be either predeposited or certified.
    You know, at this point in my life I have bought three houses, and never have had a bank representative there. However, the deal doesn't close until the loan "funds", which I guess means someone from the bank tells the escrow company that "yes, the money's here". So this may just be a quibble about how things are defined.

Frankly, closings are a lot less formal than I always imagined. My first one, I was told I needed to come to the realtor's office and sign some papers. Since this was my first purchase, and I had been signing documents like every other day (offer, counter-offer, demand for repairs, contingency releases, etc.), I figured that I would do that, and then we would hold the closing in two days (when it was scheduled). Went into a room, signed a huge stack of paper, and at the end they said "Congratulations, here's the keys." All rather anti-climatic, actually.

The second time there was actually a board room and attorneys, so slightly more formal. But the seller was out-of-town, so it was just me, my broker, and the escrow agent.

The third time, I met the escrow agent at a McDonald's! It was a half-way point between us.

So, I have learned that these things are not as spooky or formal as you think when you buy your first house.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 29, 2008, 07:46 AM
    NY is one of the most miserable states for closings because the banks require that the closings occur in their offices or at the office of their attorney.

I do the majority of my closings in NJ. I have closed in boardrooms, in banks, in attorneys' offices, in diners and once on the floor of a model home.

In NJ the standard practice is that the buyer's attorney determines all of the closing costs and the buyer provides his attorney with a certified check or bank check for the full amount. The attorney then writes out all of the different checks that are required.

In every closing the buyer has always been required to provide all of the funds, in certified form or bank check, at the time of closing. (Once we had a buyer show up with a shopping bag full of cash. Yes, we accepted it.)

Aug 29, 2008, 08:32 AM
    OK, all my closings have been in NY, so maybe we are more formal here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buyer is destroying my home (RTO with no written agreement) [ 18 Answers ]

My husband and I did a rent to own with a lady back in February on 2/12/2007 she paid the first month payment in the amount of 350.00 and a down payment of 2000.00 we handed her the key and she began to move in. I wanted to have a written agreement she rufused stating she had a law professor at her...

First time home buyer [ 1 Answers ]

I have bad credit and never owen a home what are my chances?

First time self employed home buyer ( Ha I KNOW!) [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, long story short... 25 years old, self employed filling second year w2s for the business this week. Anyhow since the business is new profits are low. Although I can afford the mortgage for which I am applying... I am applying with my girlfriend, who's credit is decent about 680 or so.....

First Time Home Buyer [ 4 Answers ]

Can you help me buy the house I live in from my parents. I moved into my Grandmothers home with my children after a divorce. My Grandmother has passed away since, and the house is in my Mother and my Aunts name and I pay them rent. I have visited this subject with them and they want to help me out,...

First Time Home Buyer [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking into buying a home for the first time and I'm not really sure how the first time home buyers program works. If you have poor credit (550) are you still eligible for the first time home buyers program or is that score too low to get a mortgage anywhere??

View more questions Search