Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carol1313 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Can I garnish his wages
    I want to know if I can garnish a persons wages. I paid a lot of bills and co signed for him and now he won't pay. How do I make him pay me back ? He won't make payments or answer my calls. What can I do ?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Depending on the amount owed, you could probably take them to small claims court.

Most go up to the $2500 to $5000 range.

You will have to win a judgment in court before you can garnish wages.

Once you obtain the judgment, there is normally a 30 day period in which the defendant can file an appeal. Once the 30 days is up, then you can garnish wages, levy bank accounts (If you have the banking information) or have a lien attached to any personal property they own.

Keep in mind, the court does not help you collect the money, they just confirm that the debt is legitimate, and legally determined.
    carol1313 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 02:20 PM
    He owes over $18,000.00, so that wouldn't be small claims court. One is for a motorcycle he bought and wrecked and never paid a dime on and it's $8,000.00 and they are after me and then the car that I got for him and took back still owes $8,000.00. So now what?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 02:53 PM
    You will have to obtain an attorney for that kind of money.

Hopefully you have documentation of the amounts owed, an attorney will explain the details and your chances of recovering your losses.
    go getta 2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 02:04 PM

I recently won a judgment and the defendant has failed to pay.The court gives you no help what so ever.I have taken all legal options that they provide.He has not shown up for any court dates.I just filed a citation to discover assets,which he was a no show.now I have to file a rule to show cause and wait on another court date.what else can be done to solve this matter.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2009, 02:14 PM

Hello go:

You should start your own thread. I know, it's a little confusing for a first time user.

If you don't know where he works or banks, then all you can do is hope he shows up at one of these hearings or answers your discovery.

You're right the court doesn't help you collect.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I garnish someone's wages? [ 5 Answers ]

I won a judgement from an individual (whom won't pay). How do I start the process of garnishing his wages?

Who can garnish your wages? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband had a credit card that he got behind on when he was furloughed from his job for almost 2 yrs. With interest and late fees, it got to 15,000.00. The credit company was going to to settle for around 3000.00 because my husband had been a customer (credit cardholder) for many years but it...

Garnish wages [ 2 Answers ]

Can a credit card company card companies garnish wages.

The right to garnish wages [ 6 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me from a previous landlord, when I was first contacted by the collections agency who now holds the account 8 months ago I responded with a willingness to work out a payment plan. I never heard back from the agency until today 8 months later and they are demanding that...

Disability wages to garnish [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the State of Florida will garnish disabilty wages from social security on child support. Court order my exhusband to give me any benefits he was receiving on behalf of my son in leiu of back pay in child support, but he kept everything... PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search