Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amyk717 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2006, 07:34 AM
    AC Capacitor Leaking Oil
    Do I need to replace it or can I just clean it up & replace it when it breaks down?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2006, 09:11 AM
    The capacitor will need to be replaced. You should be able to get on at any electric motor shop, or HVAC supply house. Bring the old one with you so the voltage and farad rating can be matched.

Be sure the old one states on it " NON PCB", if it does then you can throw it out in normal trash.

If it does not state that, then it is older than 1978 and will contain PCB, ask the supplier how to dispose of properly.

Be careful removing the old one, use rubber gloves and eye protection, you may not know if it contains PCB until you get it removed to read the label.

Wear the gloves to clean up the spilled oil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Use of capacitor [ 5 Answers ]

I have a completely discharged (when I got it there was a paper clip between the posts) 120v capacitor. It is the same (physical) size as the capacitor my brother is currently using between his battery and amplifier in his car. I would like to know if I can charge this capacitor off my car battery...

Motor or Capacitor? [ 2 Answers ]

How can you rule out a bad capacitor? Is the only way by ohms?

Use of a capacitor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a completely discharged (when I got it there was a paper clip between the posts) 120v capacitor. It is the same (physical) size as the capacitor my brother is currently using between his battery and amplifier in his car. I would like to know if I can charge this capacitor off my car battery...

Capacitor [ 2 Answers ]

I replaced the fan, motor and the capacitor on my old Kenmore condenser unit. The unit runs well, and cools the house properly. Unfortunately once it cuts off, the motor will not turn unless I jump start it by turning the fan with my hand. Once it start again it runs fine and cools the house...

A/C Capacitor [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what would cause the capacitor to burn up on my A/C unit?

View more questions Search