Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janlafata Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Want to be able to play DVD's in WMP 11
    I'm a little confused about this whole codec and decoder issue. I just want to be able to watch DVD's on my Windows Media Player 11. But I have Vista Basic x64 and it supposedly does not come with an MPEG-2 decoder.

So I did some Google searching and was to Elecard Software. But I couldn't see an MPEG-2 decoder that works with Vista x64. Unless the one listed, that says it works on XP, also works on Vista. I did find a free Cyberlink MPEG-2 decoder from Softpedia.com: Download Stinky's MPEG-2 Codec 1.2.0.79 - Stinky's MPEG-2 Codec will allow you to open MPEG-2 files in TMPGEnc and in MS Media Player, plus a host of other programs - Softpedia

The decoder did work and I was able to play my DVD but I had no sound. After that, I did a little research and found that I might need something called an AC3 Filter, which I understand is needed to play sound on certain DVD's and players. Would you concur with that?

Any other help would be surely appreciated.
    Jan LaFata
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 04:36 PM
    In this link, you will find - it is freeware and should get you going

Vista Codec Package x64Components 1.0.5
    Description: With Vista Codec Package installed, you won't need to install any other codec or filter. Many user suggested default settings are implemented. It does not contain a media player. It does not associates filetypes. With this package installed you will be able to use any media player (limited only by the players capabilities) to play DVD's, movies and video clips of any format. Streaming video (real and quicktime) is supported in web browsers. Visit the homepage to get a 64bitAddon which enables xvid, divx and DVD playback in Vista's MediaCenter.

Download Vista Codec Package x64Components by Shark007 : Audio & Multimedia::Encoders/Decoders & Converters - SixFiles.com

Aug 26, 2008, 05:58 PM
    seahwk83... Thanks for replying. I wanted to let you know that the link you listed for me is dead. I did find the package at another site though. I just want to make sure a few things here though. This is for Windows Media Player, not for Media Center (which I don't have)?

And I would still use the x32 version of WMP 11 after installing this , correct? I think I installed one of these things before and I still wasn't able to play DVd's in WMP. But I'll give this a try.
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Well if your system is 64bit, the packeage above will be for media player and not media center - I just checked the link and worked for me, try right clicking on it and choose Open in New Tab

And this is for 64 bit not 32bit

Aug 27, 2008, 12:34 AM
    Sorry, what I meant was the link works fine. It's when you hit download, that nothing happens, so you see the message "If your download does not start automatically, click here." and when you click here, that takes you to a dead link.

No worries though, I found the same file at another site.
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Read this page for some info, ithas links for codecs also there are 2 lnks to download
    Windows Vista Support|Information Technology| Millikin University

Aug 27, 2008, 09:38 AM
    seahwk83.. I've kind of been down this road before and have actually seen that page that you linked to me. But I did download the full version (I know it says to use the standard version, but I figured, what the heck)! And I don't remember whether I finished the installation or just couldn't get it to work.

One reason I went through some confusion on this, is because when I chose "custom install", I was able to see all of the codecs that it was going to install, and frankly I had never heard of most of them. I also don't remember seeing anything related to MPEG-2, but maybe that does not matter. But I didn't know what to check or uncheck. Guess I should just install the full package eh?

Anyway, maybe I will try again and use the standard version, like it says. Also, to bring you up to date on something else I tried, I found a free Cyberlink MPEG-2 decoder at softpedia, downloaded it and was able to play DVD's but not hear them. Then I did a little research and found that I might need to also install something called an AC3 Filter. But I uninstalled the codec until I could find out more information.

So I'm trying everything here!
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Well, half the battle is done, now that apparently you have the vidoe codec, you need the audio codec as well, fet the full package and just let it install whatever it's defaults are

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DVD's won't play! [ 5 Answers ]

Hey folks. Recently I posted before about my computer not booting up and it seems the troubles haven't ended there. I have a Dell Demension e510. I recently replaced the power supply to a 350 watt output I think it is.. I just know it's 350watt from what my fiancé said. And just a...

Freeware to play DVD's on computer? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello I'm looking for some free software I can use to be able to watch DVD's on my computer. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

Memorex dvd's will not play in dvd player= / [ 13 Answers ]

I have bought Memorex 25pk recordable 16x speed, 4.7 gb DVD+R's and i burned a movie on one and it will not play in my dvd player. It says Imcomplete disk. I dont know why its seying this because its supposed be able to have movies burned on it. Can someone help me? maybe im not doing something...

DVD/CDRW won't play non-commercial DVD's [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Liteon Combo LTC 48161H running on a Compaq s5000cl. The DVD/CDRW drive will not play a non-commercial DVD. I have tried resetting the defaults by left clicking on "My Computer" and right clicking the combo drive, choosing "Properties", then "Auto Play" and clicking the "Restore defaults"...

View more questions Search