Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KKfromNJ Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Tile without underlayment?
    We have an old, 12” x 12” linoleum tile floor in the kitchen. The floor has many missing/broken tiles, raised bumps and depressions here and there and a bare piece of plywood covering an old heat register. My Mother is insisting that we can simply tile right over WITHOUT new underlayment. We go through this every 6 months. Is there anyone that agrees with her? I need help bringing her to her senses. I refuse to do a crap job.
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Aug 26, 2008, 06:10 AM
    You can do it but it won't last,lol.Your best bet it to just redo it with floating floor,inexpensive easy to put down and no underlay plywood needed.You can get floatinf floor that looks like oak for about 99 cents a sq ft that is 8mm thick.Good luck with mom.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 06:26 AM
    Well you are correct of course. Any imperfections in the under layment will telegraph through the tile, assuming vinyl tile. A new surface of 1/4" plywood is just the most efficient way of getting a good smooth surface to work width. Glue and nail or screw, lots of glue and don't lay the plywood too tight. Something tells me that your mother is buying the material and you are providing the labor.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 08:02 AM
    What type of tile are you thinking of using?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to use for underlayment? [ 5 Answers ]

I remember back in the 70s and 80s, 5/8" particle board was the underlayment of choice for carpeted areas in new construction. Does anyone know if this is still the best choice over a 3/4" T&G subfloor? Thanks

Is Underlayment needed for Vinyl over screwed cushion tile [ 2 Answers ]

Last year I installed a floating Formica glued laminate floor in my kitchen over a cushioned vinyl tile original floor. Six weeks later an upstairs commode ran over while we were away and flooded the kitchen floor. The insurance company had the floor dried out and all appeared well for a few...

Tile Underlayment in Bathroom. [ 3 Answers ]

Due to a cast iron toilet flange that sticks up approximately 1" after old tile/mortar removal, I need to build up an underlayment. The subfloor is 3/4" plywood 16" oc. I am thinking about putting down a 5/8 layer of plywood and than 1/4 cement backerboard to get level with flange for tiling....

Subfloor?underlayment for tile floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm remodeling a bathroom and have replaced some rotten subflooring (1 x 12 planks). Now I want to install a tile floor. Should I affix cementboard directly to my subfloor or do I need a layer of plywood? Should I use mortar to attach the cementboard to the subfloor/plywood? Thanks!

View more questions Search