Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 11:42 PM
    Joint names on house title deeds
    Can you stipulate a percentage share of ownership between two people on a house title deed? Say one person has 70% share, the other 30%... is that possible? Or can this be arranged separately through solicitors?
    deedgrabber Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Aug 26, 2008, 05:45 AM
    I don't know if you are in the US as you've referred to attorneys by "solicitors", but here in the US the way I would do it is to have an attorney prepare a trust.

This is a lot simpler than it may sound. A trustee will be appointed (like a bank) who holds title to the property and follows the beneficiaries' (owners) instructions which are laid out in the trust agreement. The trust agreement will have an Exhibit called "Beneficial Interest". There you can name one party 70% beneficial interest and another 30% beneficial interest, and state that current or future proceeds are to be split according to each person's beneficial interest.

I bet there is an equivalent for wherever you live
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 06:49 AM
    But in general yes you can, it will need to be done by your attorneys.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Thanks for that. I checked with a free legal aid advice service available here in Australia and was told that it is possible for two people to be signatories on the same home mortgage document and for their percentage share to be different... as suggested by everyone here.

And yes, we use solicitors in Australia for drawing up wills, setting up trusts, mortgage documents, and to help with divorce settlement proceedings etc. If our solicitors are similar to your American attorneys, then they have the uncany ability to know your dollar worth to them in as much time as it takes to sniff, are masters at letting things drag on forever by keeping you guessing as to what each party is up to, and hooked into their game with a lot of legal-speak. We love them too :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transffering names on house title [ 2 Answers ]

My Girlfriend And I Agreed To Move Into A House , But We Could Only Get It With The Title On Her Name Because I Previously Sold My First House In A Short Sale. 7 Months Come By And We Are Splitting Up, But She Said I Can Keep The House And I Need To Put My Name On The Title And Remove Hers. How...

Deeds in deceased relatives names [ 1 Answers ]

Who owns property if the deed is still in the name of a deceased relative if only one living relative have continued to pay the taxes on the property? Thank you

House deeds and car title tied up on mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

Can the bank tie a car title into a home mortgage loan?

View more questions Search