Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Grand parents rights
    I live in New Jersey and recently my girlfriend and her ex's family have come to complete blows with them chastizing her for leaving their drug addict of a son. She was just wondering if the grand parents have any sort of rights in this state because I have heard conflicting stories from people around my job.

P.S. I would rather not hear about how my girlfriend should allow them to see the grand parents, the whole situation is not healthy for the children at all. The constant name calling and saying she is a horrible mother would not be a great environment for them which is what she has decided.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19
    I live in New Jersey and recently my girlfriend and her ex's family have come to complete blows with them chastizing her for leaving their drug addict of a son. She was just wondering if the grand parents have any sort of rights in this state because I have heard conflicting stories from people around my job.

P.S. I would rather not hear about how my girlfriend should allow them to see the grand parents, the whole situation is not healthy for the children at all. The constant name calling and saying she is a horrible mother would not be a great environment for them which is what she has decided.

New Jersey law:

"New Jersey's Grandparents' Visitation Statute, N.J.S.A. 9:2-7.1 allows a grandparent or sibling of a child residing in this State to make an application for visitation. The applicant must prove that the visitation is in the best interest of the child. In making this determination, the court must consider eight factors, including:

The relationship between the child and the applicant;
    The relationship between each of the child's parents or the person with whom the child is residing and the applicant;
    The time which has elapsed since the child last had contact with the applicant;
    The effect that such visitation will have on the relationship between the child and the child's parents or the person with whom the child is residing;
    If the parents are divorced or separated, the time sharing arrangement which exists between the parents with regard to the child;
    The good faith of the applicant in filing the application
    Any history of physical, emotional or sexual abuse or neglect by the applicant; and
    Any other factor relevant to the best interests of the child. "
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Thanks Judy, one more thing.. We are currently awaiting a police order for a cease of contact because of threatening text messages from members of the family. I believe that would play a huge factor, don't you think? We are saving EVERYTHING including, texts and voicemails from members of that family.

Thank you for the reply:-D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2008, 08:17 AM
    If you get a restraining order, that would kind of slam the door on visitation.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19
    Thanks Judy, one more thing..We are currently awaiting a police order for a cease of contact because of threatening text messages from members of the family. I believe that would play a huge factor, don't you think? We are saving EVERYTHING including, texts and voicemails from members of that family.

Thank you for the reply:-D

I would think it depends on whether the Grandparents are sending the threatening messages or if you can prove they are influencing people to send threatening messages.

I don't know know if you can hold the Grandparents responsible for the behavior of the rest of the family.

And supervised visitation with the Grandparents (if visitation is awarded) may be the way to go.

EDIT: Whoops! Just realized I got a PM from OP asking me not to answer any of his questions. Count me out of this one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparents rights after termination of rights over parents [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother of two children and my mother relinquished her rights of me and my sister when I was 12. Now here is my question... my mother wants to go for grandparents vistitaion for my children and my sisters and she is willing to got to court for it. I was told by my CPS worker that she...

Parents rights [ 2 Answers ]

I want to have my daughter's biological father sign over his parental rights. I had tried for 2 years to get him involved in her life. He wouldn't have anything to do with her. She is almost 5 years old now. I want to have his parental rights taken and my fiancé would like to adopt her. He says he...

How can a Parents rights get taken away? [ 1 Answers ]

I had a one night stand in Colorado and got pregnant. I told the guy I was pregnant and took him to the ultra sound in September He said it wasn't his. I was going to move and he heard about it and came to talk to me about it around the first of January. I didn't hear from him from September to...

Should grand parent have visitation rights? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm not married to the baby's daddy and I don't want his mother to take care of my baby because she said when I was pregnant that she was not going to baby sit. I'm working now and she gets mad because I don't want her to take care of my baby. Now she wants to take me to court to get visitation...

View more questions Search