Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marie360 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Plumbing in the kitchen sink
    Good morning! I was soaking a mayonaise jar that was full of water. The jar accidentally rolled off the edge of the sink, and is upside down in the drain/garbage disposal. The top part of the jar is still sticking up, however I can't get my hands around the edges to pull it our of the drain. Can you help me?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 11:35 AM
    The easy way is to remove the Garbage disposal and it is very easy, click on the link below and it will show you step by step, Good luck.

John

Replace a Garbage Disposer - How to Replace a Garbage Disposal Video - About.com
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 23, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie360
    Good morning! I was soaking a mayonaise jar that was full of water. The jar accidentally rolled off of the edge of the sink, and is upside down in the drain/garbage disposal. The top part of the jar is still sticking up, however I can't get my hands around the edges to pull it our of the drain. Can you help me?
    Before you go through the hassle of removing the disposal, what would leave you in the same situation. Let me tell you how I would handle this. I would take a chisel or a big screwdriver and a small hammer and tap the jar lightly until it broke into large pieces, (don't beat it to death sol you get small chunks of glass.) You may then put on a pair of rubber gloves and pick the pieces out with a set of needle nosed pliers**or** if your hands are small like mine, you can reach down in there and retrieve the pieces. Be careful of the sharp edges and be sure you get it all out. Good luck, Tom
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 24, 2008, 09:28 AM
    You probably already have taken care of this by now. In the even that you haven't... I would glue a handle (a bolt or something that you can grab) of some sort on the jar with some epoxy. Then, you can pull the jar out. Epoxy hardens in 20 minutes. You can pick it up at a building supply.

Epoxy Putty :: Oatey.com If the link doesn't work just go to Oatey web-site, or rectorseal also makes one.

Name:  epoxy_putty.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  16.1 KB

Use latex gloves when you mix it. It is hard to get off your hands.
    Al
    Good solutiom Al, Kudos for thinking outside the box. Wish I'd have thought of it. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink plumbing smells [ 1 Answers ]

We have sewer smells coming from kitchen sink... especially after water drains out.. Any idea to cover up smells? Baking soda no longer works... repair under sink?

New Kitchen Sink Plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

I have replaced our kitchen cabinets and now will put in a new sink. The new sink has the drains in different places (farther apart and close to the back wall) than the one we replaced. Can I put a 90 elbow coming directly out of the wall to drain directly into 1 drain, or should I try and...

New kitchen sink - not enough room for plumbing now [ 4 Answers ]

I got a new kitchen sink and granite countertops today. I went to go figure out what I would need to get in order to hook the sink back up to the drain, etc - not thinking would be a big deal. Hopefully can explain what my issue is clearly. I have pvc drain pipe coming out of the wall that...

Kitchen sink plumbing issue [ 1 Answers ]

I am re-doing my kitchen and am going to replace a stainless steel 7" deep double sink with an under counter mount sink 9" deep double sink. I anticipate a problem with it being too low to properly drain. 9" below the discharge pipe there is a plug (I assume that it's a clean out). Can I use...

Plumbing, Kitchen Sink [ 1 Answers ]

I had water in my kitchen sink last night. This morning my daughter was using the sink, water came out of the faucet, used the sprayer, which sprayed water, and suddenly the water stopped. There is nothing coming through the sprayer or the faucet. Cannot find water leaking anywhere. Tried...

View more questions Search