Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DWood Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2003, 12:00 PM
    Truck Overheating
    I have a 96 Ford F 150 which is overheating. I had the radiator rebored about a year ago.

It overheated about a month ago and when I opened the cap it spewed for a short time. I added anti freeze and water. Then, it was OK for about a month.

It has started again. I checked the water levels and it is still full. I noticed steam inside my windshield (right hand passenger side) this morning and I am smelling anti freeze. I can't see any leaks at all.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Traffic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2003, 09:45 PM
    Re: Truck Overheating
    Hello...

When you see steam inside you windshield and on the passenger side (accompanied by the smell of antifreeze) - your heater core is leaking...

The heater core is located behind the dashboard on the passenger side - The symptom of a bad heater core is leakage... this will cause your windshield to steam up on the passenger side and the smell of antifreeze in the cab... Also, in the advanced stages of heater core breakdown - you will actually get a puddle of antifreeze on the floorboards on the passenger side...

DWood Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2003, 07:49 AM
    Thanks for the info. Will that also cause it to get hot? Or are they two separate issues?

When going down the highway, it doesn't get hot, but when it's in traffic or idling, it does.

Thanks again!
    freejosh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2004, 05:38 PM
    Truck Overheating
    Try the thermostat also. Take it out and toss it in a pan of boiling water. If it opens it is good... If not, get a new one. Also, check your fans. I am not too familiar with your truck, but you may have an auxiliary fan with a bad switch. Like the last guy said, your heater core needs to be replaced or you will end up with puddles in your front seat. Good luck.

-Josh
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2004, 07:36 PM
    Considering the price of thermostats and how tough getting some of them out is, I would tend to toss it in the trash and buy a new one. Maybe try boiling the new one before putting it in.

Check your belts and any fan clutch. How are your hoses? If they are soft and spongy, they can shut the flow of water off.

Let it set in the driveway and idle as it heats up. Feel the hoses and the radiator core and see if they are hot. You should not be able to squeeze the upper hose shut. Do not feel the fan or belts. Count on it at leash hurting if you get your hand in it.

Many heaters now have an outlet to make the puddles under the truck if they leak. Replace it anyway. It is more of a GM thing, but neglected minor coolant leaks can destroy an engine.
    hugobazan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2004, 08:19 AM
    Hello Dwood, I have a F150 4.2 L 6cil. And having the same problem... :( I change the fan clutch one week ago because I was having a noise problem, and now my truck is getting hot, I put 50% Water and 50% AntiFreeze and I have the same situation, it is happening when the truck is not running, like in the stops, or traffic, not when the truck is running like the express way.

Did you found any solution? It never happened to me before.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2004, 09:55 AM
    F you weren't over heating before you changed the fan clutch, and are now, I would take a good look at the fan clutch, and also the belt. Make sure any shrouds you may have removed are correctly in place.

Have you opened the hood and looked to make sure the fan is turning rapidly at idle? The purpose of the fan clutch is to disengage it when you are moving and have enough air flow without it. It must engage when you are stopped.
    jruss Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2006, 09:00 PM
    Heater core leaking-replace. Overheating, possibly wrong type of fan clutch installed. The type you need is a thermostatic clutch.
    gatorguy_k7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 01:14 PM
    I have the same truck and the same problem and all I did was get a brand new thermostat and flushed the radiator and put new fluids in and now the truck is running fine! By the way when it does start to overheat idle the truck and turn the heater on it cools it down faster!
    sprintr36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2010, 07:16 AM
    Truck overheating ,water is coming back out of the rad when the cap is off.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2010, 08:42 AM

sprintr36, this link may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235973

Phosphate scale may be blocking passages and require replacing the radiator.
    cliffherrin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2011, 06:45 PM
    Have a 2004 5.4f150 its overheatingmay run for a month with no problems... when it overheats its instantly and if u shut it off it goes back to normal temp? No slow increase in temp,always sudden.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overheating [ 7 Answers ]

My 1987 Jeep Cherokee is overheating, and we have been Unable to fix the problem. A new therostat has been put in. It runs for about 10 minutes, and then we can see the coolant starting to bubble, so we turn it off. The fan is running, and there doesn't seems to be any leaks. HELP It has...

96 Dodge Ram Overheating [ 1 Answers ]

My brother has a 96 Dodge Ram that keeps overheating after going a few miles. He has replaced the thermastate, water pump, and clutch band. The radiator is only a year old. The water levels are fine. There is no blowed head. Why is this truck still running hot?

Transmission overheating [ 3 Answers ]

Wondering if anyone had an answer to my problem with my 2001 dodge ram (badlander), being that after about ten minutes of driving, my overdrive turns off and I can only drive at about 45-50 mph, if I go faster my transmission temperature light comes on and I have to stop and let it cool down?

92 Civic LX Overheating [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a 92 Civic 115k miles, runs great but overheats. Changed radiator, thermostat, relay and hoses. It appears that the fan does not turn on when idling or when I turn it off. When on the highway it runs cool. The mechanics can't find what's wrong. Could it be the sending unit? ...

Overheating problems [ 30 Answers ]

I have a 86 mustang lx 4 cil. Engine and it keeps overheating I've replaced belts radiator cap and thermostat I've flushed the radiator and checked for leaks around the thermostat houseing and water pump but found nothing.Does anyone have a clue of what's going on.Or what I should check for next.

View more questions Search