Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melfred11477 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Landlord breaking lease in sale of home
    We are in a 1 year lease in the state of Oklahoma, the home we live in has been put up For Sale since we moved in. We are in good standings with landlord. Our landlord (management company) has told us verbally (papers to follow) we have 45 days to vacate, house has sold. Can they hold us responsible for the reminder of the lease (5 months)? Also, What about the deposits and the stipulation in lease about our 30 day written notice we are vacating?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Your landlord cannot do this. If you have a lease in force the new owner MUST honor that lease. They can't force you out.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 11:58 AM
    The only way that the landlord can terminate your tenancy is if the written lease gives them the right to do so. If the lease doesn't say anything about the landlord having the right to terminate the lease then tell them that they'll have to pay you 3 months worth of rent if they want you out before the end of the term of your lease.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Do you want to move or want to stay?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Yes, unless the lease states you have to move if it is sold ( most don't) the new owner will have to honor the lease, or buy the lease out from you. The may be only trying to lie to you to get you to move, expecting you not to know your rights, I would ask them how much is it worth for you to move before the end of the lease.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by melfred11477
    Can they hold us responsible for the reminder of the lease (5 months)?
    I don't know that they WANT to stay. I take it that they're fine with moving, just afraid that the landlord may try to come back on them for the remainder of the lease (even though they're telling them to move (unlawfully, yes).

Melfred, what's the story?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord breaking lease [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. I was wanting to know if a landlord can kick a renter out so there realtives can move in? I have read that they can't do that in states that have renters law. Ohio dose not.

Landlord putting house up for sale before end of lease [ 8 Answers ]

I entered a 1-year lease on 3/1/2007. I was informed by a realtor on 6/4/07 that the house was going up for sale but not to worry, it might take months for it to sell... Can a landlord do this? Even if the house takes a year to sell, how about my right to enjoy a quiet environment (for sale...

Landlord breaking of Lease [ 3 Answers ]

We rented our house to our niece, with the understanding that she would not have to pay us a damage deposite, nor would she have to pay first and last month rent, with the understanding that she would take the house "as is". Ever since then it has cost us more to get things fixed than we can...

Landlord/Roommate - Breaking Lease in SC [ 11 Answers ]

I rented a room in a house on 10/15/06 from an internet roommate service. Since I have moved in (less than 10 days ago) I have received no less than 6 notes from my roommate/landlord, as well as calls on my cell phone and emails concerning 'things she wants to mention that she's noticed'. ...

View more questions Search