Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragonfly11 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Cell/Table Borders
    Hi Everyone,

I'm currently trying to build a website for my new business. I know a very good base about html and Dreamweaver which is the platform I'm using to build my site.

I'm having a huge dilemma, my business partner wants to see the website a certain way, but I can't seem to get the cell and borders done properly. He was that you can make a border around a cell with a specific color. I tried to do it, but it seems the whole table gets the formatting and all cells within that table. I can't seem to only get that one cell or group of cells to be one format without the whole table have a border around it. He wants something similar to what you can find on gmail.com - the two blue boxes on the right.

I tried with CSS Style sheets - seems to work when in Dreamweaver, but once I try to preview in my browser, it won't pull up anything. I figured my browser doesn't see CSS, but I went on other websites that have CSS and I can view it.

Hope this makes sense - if anyone could help I would be for ever grateful as this is starting to frustrate me!

Cheers,
    D
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Check this thread on another board where I asked basically the same question: in it are 3 things to play with:
    http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/ind...?topic=28437.0
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2006, 03:27 PM
    The best way to do it as mentioned in that page was to use a style in the cell tag. You could do it using:

Code:
    <td style="border: 1px solid red">...</td>
    But if you have lots of cells which you want to have the same style, a better thing to do would be to set up a class in your HTML/CSS file...

Code:
    .redcell {
      border: 1px solid red;
    }
    That would either go into a CSS file you have linked via the <link> tab, or between <style> tags in the <head> section of your HTML page. Then whenever you wanted a cell with a red border, you would simply use:

Code:
    <td class="redcell">...</td>
    Let me know if you want me to explain better (it's late though and I'm getting a few quick answers in :) )
    dragonfly11 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2006, 10:02 AM
    I tried to do this from what you mentioned in your answer. I tried the link ref and the style tags. For some reason it's still not showing up on any web browsers. I'm starting to get a bit frustrated as I know it's prob just a tag I may missing and I just can't see it. I assigned the class Tableborder to my table. It's a very simple border green that I wanted.

If you may have a bit of time, would you be able to write the Html that would show in order to have my CSS appear on the webpage?

Here is what I have (a portion where I think I may be missing something):

<link href="/public_html/CSS%20Styles/table_border.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
    </head>

<body>
    <table width="760" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" class="tableborder">
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 01:14 AM
    First, a correction to my previous answer as I made a classic mistake:

Never name your CSS classes something like "redbar" or "leftmenu". Keep them ambigious. For all you know a month down the line someone will say "that red bar's good but can it be blue?". So then you would have a CSS class called "redbar" but the area it styles is actually styles into a blue colour. Anyway - onto the question in hand...

In your CSS:
    Code:
    /** The table itself **/
    .tableborder {
       border: 1px solid red;
    }

/** A cell in the table **/  
    .tableborder td {
        border: 1px solid blue;
    }
    In your HTML:
    Code:
    <table width="760" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" class="tableborder">
      <tr>
        <td>A</td>
        <td>B</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td>C</td>
        <td>D</td>
      </tr>
    </table>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I sharpen table saw blade [ 19 Answers ]

Can someone explain how to sharpen carbide tipped 10" table saw blades? I have a grinder and a Dremel tool, and I would like to sharpen my blade myself. Please indicate if there is an angle to the tips, just the outer edge sharpened? Please tell me step by step. Thanks.

Air Hockey Table... [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a website I could go to to order an Air Hockey Table. Preferably in the Dallas, Tx area, bt ne place would work

Problem with IP routing table! [ 1 Answers ]

My IPGateway is NSG4000 (made in Taiwan), in its static routing table I want to assign IP 0.0.0.0 and Subnet mask 0.0.0.0. But I don't know why it can't assign that IP and SM :confused: . Are there any other way to assign IP and SM 0.0.0.0? Please help me! Thanks!

Div Vs Table [ 3 Answers ]

Just a quick question. I've seen a few pages on the internet about using DIV tags instead of tables. Could someone just quickly tell me what's the best to use? I could imagine DIV tags would provide you more control via CSS, but I can also see that they would be a pain in the ass to use. ...

View more questions Search