Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtr342003 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 03:11 AM
    Can anyone identify this gothic style monochrome print?
    The image attached is of a monochrome print/painting that has been in the family at least 50 years, if not longer, would be very grateful to anyone who could identify it

Thanks again

Dtr34
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2008, 11:02 PM
    Hello, dtr342003!

Are there any possible identifying marks anywhere on it, like on the front or back - letters, numbers, names or dates, etc.

Also, what is the size of it and what is it made of?

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2008, 12:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Hello, dtr342003!

Are there any possible identifying marks anywhere on it, like on the front or back - letters, numbers, names or dates, etc.?

Also, what is the size of it and what is it made out of?

Thanks!
    Thanks so much for showing an interest. There are absolutely no identifying marks that can be seen, front or back. I am not even sure if it is an original, copy or print. If it is a copy it is excellent and if a print, superb as you can even see the texture of the canvas. There are paper like creases on the print under the glass. As it has been in the family for at least 50 years, if not longer, and it is a picture we love I dod not want to open it up as it is sealed fairly firmly at the back with very old fashioned looking sealing tape. The sleeping child in front of the fountain could be either Eros or Cupid as this was a popular classical image. As you can perhaps see the man is placing a ring on the finger of the woman - engagement, betrothal? It could be a really famous print by a very famous artist but we just don't kknow. Seems quite preraphaelite but in sepia/monochrome style. Including frame it is 77 x 64cm.
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 01:01 AM
    Is it really as dark as it appears on this thread?
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 01:12 AM
    I'm still here and I do have some ideas for you concerning this print that you have.

Aug 23, 2008, 01:16 AM
    I'm still here and I do have some ideas for you concerning this print that you have.
    Sorry, 3 children under 6 to deal with. It is probably a touch lighter than in the photo and maybe a bit more sepia toned.
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 01:27 AM
    Thanks, and I can empathize as well as sympathize with your situation! Would you mind if I enhanced your image just a bit so that things are easier to see things on it? If I do that, then there is the chance that identifying marks of some kind might just show up and be discernible.

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2008, 01:33 AM
    Thanks, and I can empathize as well as sympathize with your situation! Would you mind if I enhanced your image just a bit so that things are easier to see things on it? If I do that, then there is the chance that identifying marks of some kind might just show up and be discernible.

Thanks!
    Sounds great. I will attempt to post some extra images on flickr if it helps
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 01:45 AM
    Please give me a few minutes... I need to download, enhance and them upload the enhanced image to this site.

Also, it would be best if you could post any additional images on this thread so that everything is kept on this site so that other people can benefit and don't have to go searching for information because of clicking on additional links.

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2008, 01:57 AM
    Please give me a few minutes... I need to download, enhance and them upload the enhanced image to this site.

Also, it would be best if you could post any additional images on this thread so that everything is kept on this site so that other people can benefit and don't have to go searching for information because of clicking on additional links.

Thanks!
    Some extra images at the following link on flickr

Flickr: dtr342003's Photostream

Once again thanks for your time and interest
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 01:58 AM
    Here is your image enhanced and sharpened some so that things are easier to see.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a gothic sounding dark instrumental (drumbeat sounds like pop) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, this song might be from the 80s or 90s. It has a slow-medium pop drumbeat, and there are no lyrics except soft female vocals that goes "dooh, dooh, dooh" to the tune of the instrument. A harpsichord or gothic-sounding effect for the organ was used throughout the song.. heard it on the radio so...

American gothic [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know a site that I can actually watch the movie american gothic online for free the one that came out in 1988

I need to identify the artist in a print I have [ 1 Answers ]

The print (it is a mass produced print, not a painting) is of a mother and her two daughters, picking wildflowers in a landscape scene in the great plains - probably set in the late 19th century. I would think this is probably by a mid-20th century American artist. I have attached a scan of the...

Gothic, techno/dance/trance, KNOW ANY? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew any good bands that are gothic techno stuff... e.g. Abney park, Cruxshadows. :)

Growth of towns/gothic cathedral/mongol rule! [ 1 Answers ]

I have to do a project and I looked everywhere online I have to right 3 causes of the mongol rule, 5 historical accounts and 3 effects any one can help? Please do=]

View more questions Search