Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vinceKahn Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2006, 12:59 PM
    Shower stall leak
    I'm going crazy, I can't find the leak in my shower. I've run water from a hose flowing over the base and through the drain for 30-40 minutes, no leak. I've capped the shower head turned the water on, still no leak. I've plugged the drain filled the base up with 2 inches of water and let sit for 4-5 hours, still no leak. As soon as I run the shower, 10-15 minutes later I have water in my closet. I thought this might be the seam between the fabricated shower wall and base, so I recaulked it. This made no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Vince
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 21, 2006, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vinceKahn
    I'm going crazy, I can't find the leak in my shower. I've run water from a hose flowing over the base and through the drain for 30-40 minutes, no leak. I've capped the shower head turned the water on, still no leak. I've plugged the drain filled the base up with 2 inches of water and let sit for 4-5 hours, still no leak. As soon as I run the shower, 10-15 minutes later I have water in my closet. I thought this might be the seam between the fabricated shower wall and base, so I recaulked it. This made no difference.

Thanks,
    Vince

Hey Vince,
    Did you step in the shower whan you filled the base up with water? Sometimes the weight of your body will cause the floor to flex a little thus rupturing the seal under the drain lip especially if the floor gives a little. Try that and get back to me. Good luck, Tom

Apr 23, 2006, 06:51 AM
    Whether I'm in or out of the shower it leaks, and only leaks if I turn on the shower itself.
    The shower is a pre-fabricated stall, on the first floor on the concrete slab. They did a good job of setting the pan in mortar.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 23, 2006, 07:03 AM
    "Whether I'm in or out of the shower it leaks, and only leaks if I turn on the shower itself."

Verrry interesting! You don't have a pressure leak, you don't have a drainage leak and yet there's this pesky leak that shows up when you run the water. This tells me that it's somewhere in the pressure side and not the drainage. Have you pulled the cover plate and checked for moisture around the valve body? Perhaps it's leaking from the cartridge behind the plate where you can't see it. Let me know what you find. Regards, Tom

Apr 23, 2006, 12:23 PM
    I actually cut from the closet side wall next to the shower. I couldn't find any water damage or moister. Just to be sure I removed the handle and wall plate and checked the valve body, no moisture at all.

-Vince
    lkj84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2006, 01:49 AM
    I am reading as the closet is on the other of the shower? I wonder if you have a leak below your shower pan? You can connect a hose from the shower head to the drain. If no leak, put a test weight in the shower or ask a buddy to stand in the shower. I am guessing that ground settled and caused a crack in the (ABS plastic?) drain.

Thanks,
    Vince
    lkj84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2006, 01:50 AM
    I am reading as the closet is on the other of the shower? They share one common wall. I wonder if you have a leak below your shower pan? You can connect a hose from the shower head to the drain. If no leak, put a test weight in the shower or ask a buddy to stand in the shower. I am guessing that ground settled and caused a crack in the (ABS plastic?) drain.

Thanks,
    Vince

Apr 24, 2006, 04:49 AM
    That's what I thought, as well. Like I said I tried running water, from a hose, swirling around the base and down the drain for 30 minutes. I never saw a leak. The only time the leak shows up is when the shower is on, running hot or cold water. This whether I'm in the shower or not.

Thanks for your help,
    Vince
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2006, 12:17 PM
    You haven't much choice Vince,
    If you can see the water you should be able to track it back to the source. Let it dry out, turn on the water and when you see moisture start tracking it back. Until you find the source of the leak you can do nothing to repair it.
    Let us know what you find. Regards. Tom

Apr 24, 2006, 03:17 PM
    That was my thought as well. The problem I'm having is I can't see under the stall to follow it all the way back.

Thanks for your help,
    Vince

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stall Shower Leak [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 3 level townhome built in the 70s. It seems that my 2nd floor shower is leaking water into the ceiling of the kitchen directly below it. The shower drain appears to be plastic (black) with a rubber ring around it. To date I've used 100% silicone around the ring in an attempt to seal...

Shower stall leak, pan? Drain? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been noticing some wetness aroundthe outside of my stall shower. It is a Tile shower in a ranch type house on a slab. I looked carefully at all the grout on the floor and resealed the corners but that did not help. I thought it might be the drain but can only get the top off. The other has...

Shower stall leak [ 13 Answers ]

I am in the process of fixing a second floor shower leak. I have removed the first floor ceiling under the shower. I've removed the gasket between the shower base and the drain pipe. I've replaced the rubber gasket (and cardboard gasket) And I have removed the drain cap inside the shower. I am very...

Shower stall drain leak [ 8 Answers ]

I have a second floor acrylic shower stall that apparently has a drain leak, based on a wet spot in the ceiling almost directly below the shower drain that has gotten progressively bigger over a few weeks. I've taken the strainer plate off, but am at a loss for what to do next. I'm presuming...

Shower stall leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have leaking shower stall built on a concrete slab, home built in 1959. The tile on the walls and ceiling of the stall is Pepto Bismal pink and gray attached via mortar and metal screen and has some small cracks (shoulder height). The tile on the floor looks like a glass mosaic with the grout...

View more questions Search