Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    figsareyum Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 01:17 PM
    H1-B or OPT status for most advantageous tax filing
    I am currently on OPT (F-1) status. I have South African citizenship. I have been granted an H1-B visa which I have until the end of my OPT status to activate. The plan was to activate in around a year when OPT expires, as I have no inclination to leave the U.S right now (it must be activated from abroad).

This position might be worth reconsidering if I am subject to real tax disadvantages because of my OPT F1 status.

I am single. I rent. I don't have kids. I live and work in New York. My income will be roughly $3K gross a week, but will constitute only part of the tax year. I have not worked since August 2007, and will be starting my job soon. I have been in the U.S. permanently since around August 2006. This past year I filed 1040NR for the work I did over Summer 2007.

1. What tax benefits, or burdens if any would result in me activating H1-B?
    2. Assuming I remain on OPT, would I still be filing the NR form because of the F1 status? Do I have the option to file the normal tax resident forms because of the nature of my residence? etc.
    3. How should I fill out my W4 for the upcoming job? Single, with zero, 1, or 2 deductions?

I would be most appreciate if one of the knowledgeable users could provide well written response to these issues. I would be looking to have paid professional on hand for future tax related advice.

Thanks!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 07:50 PM
    1. On H1-B, you pay FICA taxes and you will file resident tax return if you meet SPT. On resident tax return, you will get standard deduction but no deduction as per tax treaty. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test

2. On OPT/F1 you are exempt for 5-years. Must file non-resident tax return and get deduction as per tax treaty.
    Read about F1 & H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    figsareyum Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 03:15 AM
    There is no treaty deduction. The question remains, which will save more money?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

H1B / H4 , filing status , dual status [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indian Citizen who entered US along with my spouse for the first time on 30 March 2007 on H1-B Visa. Since then, I have not changed my visa status to any other visa and I have not travelled outside US. My spouse is on H4 visa. I have the following questions: 1. Am I dual status...

Filing Status [ 4 Answers ]

I received my fisrt paystub and it indicates that my filing status is 'S 01'. What does that mean? Please anyone tell me what this means. Thanks

Most advantageous way to file- OPT to H1B conversion [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! I am a Mexican citizen, graduated in June of 2006, and started working on July 5th, I am currently on OPT but will be getting the H1B in October. I am married to a Mexican citizen (who is not working), and we have a baby (us citizen). The question is: what is the most advantageous way to...

Filing Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in DEC 06 in Hong Kong, my wife still lives and works in Hong Kong, she was a student here years ago and has a SS#, we will be filing a petition for her to be a legal resident soon How should I file my taxes, Married Separately or Jointly? Thank you

View more questions Search