Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SBA Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 08:50 PM
    How much does the average 20-22 year old have in the bank?
    How much money does the average 20-22 year old have in the bank?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 08:56 PM
    The average? Probably Nothing to a few hundred dollars maybe more if he has a great job or rich parents.
    Trandy Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Aug 16, 2008, 08:58 PM
    I'm thinking, and I don't have any facts, just thoughts that with college just out of their way, most people that age are thankful to have a job that pays their bills, and student loans!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Probably enough to pay the rent, phone, internet, cell phone, cable, and buy some groceries and not a red cent more.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 07:50 PM
    First there is not a averge 22 year old, some are still in college, others are working and married with 3 kids.

But on average most people don't have any money beyond a week or so earnings and that is normally owed to someone.
    SBA Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 08:49 PM
    How much does the average worker (20-22 years old) have in the bank ?

How much does the average student (20-22 years old) have in the bank ?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Well, I'm 22 and I work two jobs, and it really depends on what day of the month you are asking me. If it's after ALL bills are paid there's enough in there for food for the month.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2008, 09:03 PM
    The posts above are right... there really is no "average" 20 - 22 year old.

I'm a recent college grad...

But take my friends for instance... working in investment banking firms in ny...

They make about 170k a year.

Then take my friends in med school, law school, and grad school... they're mostly in about $110k in debt.

Then take my friends that have average jobs... they make about 70k a year...

It really depends on the person.
    Vision Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 09:05 PM
    What average job makes 70k a year? I want to live where you live!!
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Lol, most of my friends are junior analysts at a few consulting firms.

... and then there's the rest of us med school jerks... 110k in debt. :(
    Vision Expert

Sep 3, 2008, 09:11 PM
    LOL... aww...
    laralara Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2008, 09:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SBA
    How much money does the average 20-22 year old have in the bank?
    Your question should be " in how much debt is the average 20-22 yrs old" lol
    snode001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 08:56 AM
    The only thing I can do is answer for myself. I am a recent college graduate, 22 yrs old, live in Southern California. I have about $900 in checking right now, about $1000 in savings. I'm just starting to build my savings.. I WILL NOT touch the money in that account! I put 15% of my paycheck every 2 weeks into savings. My checking fluctuates depending on time of the month- more $ if closer to after I got my paycheck, less if further from the day I got paid. I work 40 hrs a week for $22,000 a year at a non-profit art museum. A measley wage, but I have to pay my dues and work my way up. Which I shall!

Expendiatures:
    I have about $11,000 in loans that I am personally responsible for (There is more money in loans, but my parents are helping!) I'm really lucky, actually spoiled, but I'm gracious as well. I live at home with my parents (for now), which cuts about a $700 rent expendiature off my budget (if I share an apt.), since I don't have to pay for my room/utilities. My parents pay for my cell phone bill (we're on the family plan) and they pay for my car insurance. I pay for gas- about $100 a month, food- about $100 (eating out at restaurants, grabbing food during my lunch break), about $130 a month toward my loan payment (more if I have it in my budget!), about $115 on entertainment (movies, concerts, various activities like kayak rentals, nightclubs, museum), and around $200 for other costs (personal items, art supplies, clothes, gifts - there's almost always a birthday!).

I think I'm probably about average, but I definitely have the goal of honing my spending and expanding my savings. I eventually want to be financially independent, taking care of my own bills and living on my own (meaning not with my parents, but most likely with roommates to cut costs).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My bank account got red flag I need my money who can I call for the bank to relase it [ 6 Answers ]

I have a over sea investment account that I have had for many years now. I am in some financial problem and need to liquidate that account. It a very large some of money. I got the account wire transfer to my bank account. I knew the bank would red flag it because of the large amount but now it...

One year out of prison for Bank Larceny, need better paying job FAST. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm also trying to find a better paying job. I've been out of prison for a year for Bank Larceny and it's been VERY hard to find anything that pays well. I have a PhD in Human Resource Management and cannot find anything in my field. Another negative against me is that I live in VA, a...

Need approx 97,000 to payoff bank note @ 145,00 bank will forgive the rest, any ideas [ 4 Answers ]

Who do we turn to? Anyone willing to invest in us?? Grants or loans we don't know??

Part year resident for MA : bank interests [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The instructions for form 1-NR/PY ( I am a Mass. Part-year resident) say on page 9: "Income: Lines 5 through 11, 24, 27 and 28 If you earned only a portion of the income you reported on your U.S. return while you were a Massachusetts legal resident, subtract from your U.S. income the...

View more questions Search