Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worfsmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Setting Thermostats for Dual Zone When 2nd Floor Unoccupied?
    We have a two story house approx 3,200 Sqft, dual zone heat/AC and programmable thermostats. Our bedroom is on the first floor, and we have a large great room with a 2 story ceiling. With the kids having moved out, we don't want to spend more for heating the house than necessary. We don't need to keep the 2nd floor warm, and can close all the doors to the 3 bedrooms upstairs, exposing the loft, hallway and second floor of the great room to the ambient temperature downstairs. The downstairs thermostat is in the hall near the great room and outside the master bedroom. The upstairs thermostat is at the top of the stairs in the hallway outside the bedrooms. Both thermostats are programmed to drop to 60F after 10PM, and come back on around 5:30 AM, and then about 68F the rest of the day. Should we cut back the thermostat in the upstairs during the winter months, or even off? If yes (to temperature), how much? Should we close the doors to the upstairs bedrooms? I should also mention we have dual fuel (electric/propane). Knowledgeable responses are welcome:) Thank you.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 03:25 PM
    If you are not using the rooms turn off the heat BUT if there is a bathroom or any areas that have water pipes located upstairs you will have to temper the turn it all off situation because the pipes can freeze especially if the pipes are on a outside wall.

There will always be residual heat going up stairs because heat rises.

Also I would check those upstairs areas from time to time just to be sure no condensation forms on the outside walls and windows from lack of circulation.

You know your home much better than we do here so keep an eye out for and problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual zone with one AC unit? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a two story house in Arizona. I have one unit for downstairs and one unit for upstairs. The unit upstairs has one thermostat to control all 4 rooms. The thermostat is located in common area where there is no duct but has 3 returns. This area is usually hotter than rooms. When I set the temp...

Dual zone [ 1 Answers ]

The question is if this will substantially raise my pg&e bill. The company that came out diagnosed the problem as the damper is not closing properly, nor sending the air to the right vents. The upstair control is sending some of the air downstairs and a couple upstairs do not work at all. So the...

Thermostats with a max temp setting [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a thermostat I can buy for indoor use, that allows me to set a max temp. so a child cannot turn up the temp higher?

Dual Zone Heating [ 2 Answers ]

I have forced hot air dual zone heating at my home. When I set the temperature at 70 in the first floor.. The fan is also blowing in my 2nd floor and the temperature increases in the 2nd floor to 70. Where as the thermostat in the second floor is set to 62. I looked at the furnace and saw a...

Can I use parallel thermostats in a 1-zone system? [ 3 Answers ]

Bought an old 3-storey house in Maine, heated with gas forced-hotwater radiators. There is only 1 zone, with the thermostat in a 1st floor front room with little traffic and away from any radiator. When the t'stat calls for heat, it takes so long for it to register at the t'stat site, that the...

View more questions Search