Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elephants3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 09:22 AM
    Toilet slow to flush
    28 year old house on slab. Sinks, tubs, other toilets empty "fine". One toilet fills to the very brim and eventually empties with a glug, glug sound. Used 3 foot snake and plunged several times with little or no result. Just tried snake again with more diligence and patience. Pulled back roots. I want to jump off the roof and do myself in but it is only a one story so it won't help. Tell me what the next step is and what I can do without digging up the slab. Gimpy toilet is in bathroom on outside wall in front of house near water supply. There is a tub between the toilet and the wall to the outside of the house. Bushes and some kind of ornamental tree all along the front edge of house. Is there a magic pill I can flush (eventually) that will eat up the roots so I can flush and temporarily control the situation while I save up funds to pay for the repairs I think are coming? Im not a plumber but try to fix things on my own when I can. I am, however, smart enough to know that roots should NOT be growing in your sewer line 3 feet or less from your toilet.:eek:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 16, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Is there a magic pill I can flush (eventually) that will eat up the roots so I can flush and temporarily control the situation while I save up funds to pay for the repairs I think are coming?
    I haven't got a "magic pill" but I just might have a solutioin. Roots seek the nearest source of water, in this case a break in your sewer line.
    For immediate relief and to kill the existing roots and prevent further growth you can purchase RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Let me say that sooner or later you're going to have to bite the bullet and replace that old sewer line with PVC.
    Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Toilet slow to flush [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kohler one piece toilet. It is about 4-5 yrs. Old and flushed fine until recently. With any waste in the bowl it is not taking it all down. I took the cover off and the water is at the proper level in the tank. Is is possible there could be a blockage internally?

Burp and then slow flush [ 3 Answers ]

OK, there is a slow flushing stool, tank type with a flapper. When you flush it, a burst of air comes first and then the water slowly drains. It is the style that has the hole to start action, and it is clear. The one right next to it is OK. There is one vent for 2 rest rooms, a water fountain,...

View more questions Search