Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    makgitle Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 04:49 PM
    How to get my old files from my old hardrive
    Hi everyone.
    I've installed a new windows xp professional on a new hardrive as my old hardrive couldn't stratup windows(XP Pro) anymore.So my old hardrive still has all my documents under my old user name which has password and the password was not removed from my old user account as my old hardrive can't startup windows anymore.Curently my PC is running with two hardrives-the new one together with the old one but I can't acces my old documents from my old hardrive.What must I do? Please help me,I'm desperate.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by makgitle
    i can't acces my old documents from my old hardrive.What must i do?
    If both drives are installed correctly and functional (old drive wouldn't startup?), the default location for your documents would be in folder [Old Drive Letter]:\Documents and Settings\[Old Username]\[Old Username]'s Documents. If you used a new username with the new XP installation, you may need to login as an administrator and take ownership of that folder and contents and then adjust NTFS permissions as necessary to give your new user account access.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 09:04 PM
    The old drive, is it showing in MY COMPUTER as drive D: ?

When you explore it, can you not locate the files? Or is the drive completely unreadable for some reason?
    aung2bo Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Aug 13, 2008, 09:30 PM
    Did you do your old harddisk as secondary or slave drive ? If not, do it.

And log in with your administrator account.

Regards,
    ABB
    makgitle Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 03:39 AM
    Taking ownership process, does it mean I have to take ownership of each folders and files individually and manually?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by makgitle
    Taking ownership process, does it mean i have to take ownership of each folders and files individually and manually?
    No, you can simply take ownership of a top level folder of your document tree and/or adjust permissions to give access to new user account, and then use the 'Replace permissions on all child objects' option located under the Advanced button on the Security tab to replicate the permissions to all subfolders and files. This is also the easiest way to completely mess up default permissions if you choose the wrong folder or permissions to begin with. If you're unfamiliar with setting permissions, please read up or get someone knowledgeable to assist you.

Also, it is unclear whether you have a permissions issue or a faulty drive issue. What does "can't access" mean? Please don't go blindly fiddling with permissions unless you're certain that's the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardrive data recovery [ 1 Answers ]

My hardrive crashed can I recover the data that was on it.

Is hardrive DEAD [ 2 Answers ]

Hi hope someone can help. Have recently had to format daughters hardrive due to lots of problems with viuruses and trojans ( despite warning her of what was out there :rolleyes: ). I managed to format OK, then tried to re-install windows. It got so far then there was a problem with the disk so had...

Hardrive locked [ 2 Answers ]

My hard drive is locked and I forgot my password

Hardrive not being recognised [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hardrive that worked on all the computers in my house and I used it on the computer downstairs moved some files then took it upstairs to watch a film and the computer didn't recognise it well it came up with a little bubble saying windows does not recognise this usb device one or more of...

Back up hardrive [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've recently run into my HD completely crashing and after shelling out $300 bones to retrieve, change the HD and upgrade the OP system I'm wondering how to I back up everything from my hardrive? Should I get a jump drive and what size? Also what do I have to include in the backup other...

View more questions Search