Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Aug 13, 2008, 02:16 AM
    Baby wild bunny
    One of my four silly cats brought in a baby bunny late last night... it looks as if it's back leg is wounded and blead a little... nothing more than a scratch might make. I have given it some carrots and broccoli but I'm not sure that it's old enough to eat them. It's about the size of the palm of your hand. Any advice would be most welcome. Right now it's in a cage in my laundry room away from everyone *including cats and kids.* I am hoping to find a vet tomorrow that will help it, and perhaps take it off my hands. I'm not sure that I can give it the attention that it needs to heal properly. If it makes it through the night. TIA
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Hi Myth... I taking this to be quite a baby. You can tell if it's been feeding by checking it's stomach, if it's sunken in then it needs to feed.
    In the wild mothers usually feed at night or sometimes twice a day, if they cry constantly then it needs to feed, you can offer it regular goats milk, see how it gets on,if the bunny is a little older than a new born, say 3-4 weeks try offering hay such as... oats/timothy hay... dark green veggies... such as dandelion greens, you could also try carrot tops,parsley or grated carrot.
    There is no need to introduce pellets.

Give him a check over, make sure he's comfortable and warm... but not to warm, it can be fatal.

You can speak to your nearest Humane Society or vet who will probably suggest a foster mother until he can feed properly, this doesn't take very long, at which point he will be introduced to the wild again.

I don't know whether you know but in some states it is against the law to keep wild rabbits.
    So sadly he will be taken out of your hands.

Hope this helps

Bye fore now

Aug 13, 2008, 10:08 AM
    I live in Tennessee and more than likely he will be my problem... not too many people around here would save animals like my hubby and I do... I'm calling my vet to see what he can do in a moment... the bunny made it through the night.. he is eating and having bowel movements although I know he has some internal bleeding as his urine is pinkish... I will let you all know what happens

Aug 13, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Unfortunately, we had to put the little bunny down due to a broken tibia...
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Hi Myth... I'm really sad about that every one tried very hard to save him but the vet would have known it was the right thing to do, especially him being so young,and probably in pain, I couldn't bare to think of anything in pain like that.

I shall say a little prayer for him

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wild Baby bird with broken wing found. [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I need some help. I've raised domesticated baby birds before, but never a wild bird, at least not one that lived. :( My daughter found a baby bird on the sidewalk in front of our house. I know that fledglings will leave the nest before they are able to fly, and that the mother...

BuNnY vs ants [ 3 Answers ]

I have 3 bunnies! They'r really cute, and I lovvve them.. just that theyrs a problem... my house has tons of ants that have made they'r way into the house! I want to fog the place (again) but, now that I have the bunnies, I don't know if they'll die with the poison!! WhaT do I Do?

Wild, wild west. [ 3 Answers ]

A cowboy rode into town and stopped at a saloon for a drink. Unfortunately, the locals had a habit of picking on strangers. So when he finished his drink, he found his horse had been stolen. He went back into the bar, handily flipped his gun into the air, caught it above his head and fired a shot...

Bunny won't eat [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a bunny at this fair yesterday. The lady that gave me her said that if she didn't get rid of her bunnys that she was going to kill them. So she gave me one now I have this animal I know anothing about want to learn more.. I have not noticed her eat or drink at all.. she was man handled...

View more questions Search