Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acibrix Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Car loan in my name, title in another
    I signed a car loan about 3 years ago for a friend and think the title is only in his name. Now he is unable to make payments on this loan. His credit is bad and unable to get a car load to pay my car loan off. What are my options? Is their anything I can do? Do I still have the right to take the car from my friend?

Thanks in advance
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 12:56 PM
    You can not take the car from him or you will be in legal trouble for theft since the title is who legally owns the car.
    Did he sign anything saying he would be responsible to make the payments?

So far the only options I see are continue to pay and take him to court if he did sign anything
    Or quit making payments and let the car get repo-ed if he doesn't pay and then you end up with bad credit.

Aug 12, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    You can not take the car from him or you will be in legal trouble for theft since the title is who legally owns the car.
    Did he sign anything saying he would be responsible to make the payments?

So far the only options I see are continue to pay and take him to court if he did sign anything
    or quit making payments and let the car get repo-ed if he doesn't pay and then you end up with bad credit.

No, it was a verbal agreement. Was very young when I didn't this agreement. Is their a way to get that title back in my name since I am the sole on the loan? Would my friend be able to trade the vehicle in this situation?
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 05:39 PM
    NO way to get the title back unless you make some kind of deal that suits him like paying him what he has already put into it and tell him in a nice way it would get repo-ed if it is up him to keep up the payments.
    Other than that any other way I think would ruin your credit.

I don't know if he could trade it in even if he did you would still be paying for some differences.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Well you can hope he does not know the law, and talk him into signing the title over to you, and you agree to finish making the payments

You may work out a deal with the loan company for them to repo it and you "buy" it back from them
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck

You may work out a deal with the loan company for them to repo it and you "buy" it back from them
    I was thinking of that too but wasn't sure about wording it right

Aug 13, 2008, 06:14 AM
    I was thinking of that too but wasn't sure about wording it right
    Called the lender they stated that the title is in my name based on their system. The information is being sent to me. Could their be inconsistency between the DMV's title information and the lender's?
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Before I did ANYTHING whatsoever I would send for a copy of the title that HAS YOUR NAME on it and then go from there. Without a copy of the title with your name on it IN your hand you can be arrested for grand theft auto if you just try and take it. And without it he will just argue with it over it.

Aug 13, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Before I did ANYTHING whatsoever I would send for a copy of the title that HAS YOUR NAME on it and then go from there. Without a copy of the title with your name on it IN your hand you can be arrested for grand theft auto if you just try and take it. And without it he will just argue with it over it.

Thank you to everyone for your advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Title Loan [ 10 Answers ]

If you pawn a title, and the title is no good, therefore the title loan company cannot lien the vehicle title, what course of action does the company have since they cannot legally repossess the vehicle, if you cannot pay the loan?

Need title car loan [ 1 Answers ]

I need to get a title car loan and going through the internet there are about a zillion of these loans listed. How can I find out which one is a most reputable one and also does anyone out there have a loan company they can recommend (specifically one that will can offer you a reasonable loan rate...

Loan not in my name-Want my name on the deed/title [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my boyfriend and I are purchasing a home. He has filled out all of the loan paperwork and my name is not on any of it so he could get a better deal? He has an FHDA loan and when I called the lawyer earlier this week (I did not tell her what type of loan, because we did not know at that time)...

Co signed car loan and title [ 12 Answers ]

I cosigned on an auto loan with our daughter. The car title and loan are in both of our names. She is going to move out and has been unreliable in making payments. I have had to bail her out more than once. I want her to either get the loan and title in her name alone or turn in her car. She...

View more questions Search