Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2006, 02:08 PM
    For the record, Jewish doctors and other emergency personnel do work on the Sabbath. Saving a life comes before the Law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2006, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 31pumpkin
    Working on the SABBATH is an old testament thing. Bound by the old law.
    Um do you deny that both Christianity and the Islam are built on the Old Testament and that the Old Testament is part the Christian's Bible and the Islamic Koran?

While its true that the extent and nature of holding the Sabbath holy has changed in those subsequent religions, the concept of holding the Sabbath holy has not.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

May 4, 2006, 03:24 PM
    Um do you deny that both Christianity and the Islam are built on the Old Testament and that the Old Testament is part the Christian's Bible and the Islamic Koran?
    I am not sure about Islam but I can speak for Christianity. I think what 31pumpkin is referring to is that since the NT came along Jesus fulfilled the Sabbath (actually the OT law). Christians no longer observe it as a ritual of not working, no cooking, or whatever else the law for the Sabbath brings. I guess some may, I shouldn't speak for every Christian but in general.

While its true that the extent and nature of holding the Sabbath holy has changed in those subsequent religions, the concept of holding the Sabbath holy has not.
    You are correct. Even though Christians do not hold the Sabbath in a ritualistic way, it doesn't take away that God does want us to take some time to rest. I think this should be taken seriously since in this day and age we are so rushed and don't seem to take the time for family. I know, I catch myself doing this also.

May 4, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jduke44
    You are correct. Even though Christians do not hold the Sabbath in a ritualistic way, it doesn't take away that God does want us to take some time to rest. I think this should be taken seriously since in this day and age we are so rushed and don't seem to take the time for family. I know, I catch myself doing this also.
    Exactly, Are not Christians encouraged (required?) to go to church on Sundays?
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

May 4, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem

Apples to Oranges! What's doing something for one hr. got to do with NOT DOING something for 24 hrs. And more, if u want to include that leaving work early thing on a Friday to? :eek:

May 4, 2006, 05:22 PM
    I am not sure what side this would prove. If I am understanding your question
    Correctly most Christians are encouraged to go. Some churches because of the status of the people (elders, deacons) are required. I try to go every Sunday but view it as a time to re-energize my senses and body. It is like rest to me.

Would you go on to a synogogue on the Sabbath or is that forbidden also? My Jewish law is a little rusty. Actually after reading these posts, my Jewish law was never really there :p .

If I missed your point then let me know.

May 4, 2006, 06:45 PM
    I am not sure what side this would prove. If I am understanding your question
    correctly most Christians are encouraged to go. Some churches bc of the status of the people (elders, deacons) are required. I try to go every Sunday but view it as a time to re-energize my senses and body. It is like rest to me.

Would you go on to a synogogue on the Sabbath or is that forbidden also? My Jewish law is a little rusty. Actually after reading these posts, my Jewish law was never really there :p .

If I missed your point then let me know.
    My point was simply that Christians do follow the commandment to Remember the Sabbath day to set it apart as holy. The difference is simply to what extent. And yes, Jews do go to Synagogue. Actually they go both Friday night and again on Saturday.

Apples to Oranges! What's doing something for one hr. got to do with NOT DOING something for 24 hrs.? and more, if u want to include that leaving work early thing on a Friday to? :eek:
    How can you say apples to oranges? The issue is the commandment to remember the Sabbath day. And you show your ignorance. Jewish holidays go from sundown to sundown. So the Sabbath starts sundown on Friday and ends sundown on Saturday. That's your 24 hours. If jews leave work early on Fridays its to make sure they are home before sundown.

May 4, 2006, 07:53 PM
    My point was simply that Christians do follow the commandment to Remember the Sabbath day to set it apart as holy. The difference is simply to what extent. And yes, Jews do go to Synagogue. Actually they go both Friday night and again on Saturday.
    Then I guess you and I are on the same page with this one.

We just don't take it to the point where we won't work in the yard or anything like that.

Remember hearing about the days when stores weren't even open on Sundays? You never ever see that happen again. I even see stores open on Thanksgiving and Christmas lately. Although if you don't celebrate Christmas I guess it would be OK.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 4, 2006, 07:59 PM
    Remember hearing about the days when stores weren't even open on Sundays? You never ever see that happen again. I even see stores open on Thanksgiving and Christmas lately. Although if you don't celebrate Christmas I guess it would be ok.
    Don't try to go shopping in Paramus, NJ on a Sunday. All stores are closed. They continue to enforce what we call the "blue laws".
    -

May 4, 2006, 08:43 PM
    How can you say apples to oranges? The issue is the commandment to remember the Sabbath day. And you show your ignorance. Jewish holidays go from sundown to sundown. So the Sabbath starts sundown on Friday and ends sundown on Saturday. That's your 24 hours. If jews leave work early on Fridays its to make sure they are home before sundown.[/QUOTE]

Sundown, sundown... Sunrise, sunset... You're right... I'd pretty much have to be Jewish to know that! But I'm one of those "cool" people from N.Y. :D

May 5, 2006, 05:22 AM
    Sundown, sundown...Sunrise, sunset...... You're right...I'd pretty much have to be Jewish to know that! But I'm one of those "cool" people from N.Y.! :D
    Actually no. I don't believe you WOULD need to be jewish to know that. Especially being from NY. How many times have news media reported that x jewish holiday begins at sundown? Many calendars list jewish holidays as starting at sundown. I'm sure a large percentage of Gentiles would be aware of this.

While I don't claim to be a religious expert, I think its clear that I have some knowledge of other religions. I don't think one can effectively comment about something without at least some knowledge of it.
    -

May 5, 2006, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Actually no. I don't believe you WOULD need to be jewish to know that. Especially being from NY. How many times have news media reported that x jewish holiday begins at sundown? Many calendars list jewish holidays as starting at sundown. I'm sure a large percentage of Gentiles would be aware of this.

While I don't claim to be a religious expert, I think its clear that I have some knowledge of other religions. I don't think one can effectively comment about something without at least some knowledge of it.

No, I consulted with some Gentile friends up there and NO, they never heard of any of those things you mentioned.

I have enough knowledge of the Jewish peoples plight and the old testament to comment on the actual question in the 1st place.

Just because YOU THINK my comments not effective, doesn't mean that they aren't, AND that YOURS are. Ego

You claim to "have" some knowledge of other religions. Well, then why has the PENTECOST escaped you, ScotGem (this we know) if your so smart!? For all your "knowledge" tell us, where are you really headed!

May 5, 2006, 10:30 AM
    Like I said, I have "some" knowledge and don't claim to be an expert. As far as your Gentile friends, sounds like "birds of a feather..."

Again your comments show a lack of knowledge and tolerance for other religions. That's why your comments are neither effective or accurate.

What about the Pentecost? What has that got to do with what has been discussed here?
    -

May 5, 2006, 10:57 AM
    No, it has to do what will be discussed between YOU and your "lack of Religion" on judgment day. Your " dead" self-spirit will be thoughly judged... I can tell. And the poison you bring to the others. Oh HELL! When you
    Get down there, don't forget to shout out through the flames of what a BIG MAN you are! :p
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 5, 2006, 11:23 AM
    To all participants,

As this thread has gone so far off course from the original question I'm closing it.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Reverse Button [ 2 Answers ]

I have installed the remote control for my Hampton Bay fan. Everything works (lights, dimmer, fan, fan speed) but the reverse button. I lost the instructions. Does anyone know how to activate the "reverse button"?

Button in Microsoft Word [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sirs, Is it possible to add a button in a Word toolbar which represents the execution of an .exe file? By clicking the button opening the program file. How? Thank you

Go to record on form button [ 3 Answers ]

I want to put a button on the form that pulls a string from a text box and goes to the unique "sorder number" in the form. This will keep my users from having to click next a hundred times to get to a record. I have no time to try and figure out the vb code so if anyone already has an idea how to...

Shower button [ 2 Answers ]

This morning I pulled the shower button and nothing came out of the shower head. Water just came out of the facet. The unit is a "WALTEC" and we installed it in 1993. I had noticed for a while now some water coming out of the facet during a shower but this time all the water came out of the facet....

View more questions Search